We've Been Waiting

WE'VE BEEN WAITING

An eerie calm. Shops, shuttered at this hour, sit silently, shrouded in a thick fog. Only the Three Broomsticks evidences life, where yellow light and course laughter drift from greasy windows. Justbeyond lies Honeydukes. Suddenly, there is a disturbance in the mist and the trio apparate into Hogsmeade.

They glance about when a scream rents the air. Inhuman. Shrill. The laughter dies inside the three broomsticks, a mob of shadows fills the windows. Instantly, the trio pelt for Honeydukes. As the trio close in on Honeydukes, Death Eaters spill from the Broomsticks.

"There! Right there!" A death eater yells. The trio turn on their heels and vanish into the mist. Caleb leads the way, the trio running wicked fast throughthe twisting streets, glancing down alleyways for signsof pursuers, the mist both friend and foe. Suddenly, a dark figure appears on the roof above. He whistles.

Caleb, Noah and Millie race down a side street andstumble into an alcove, lungs burning. "They were ready for us." Millie whispers.
Suddenly beams of light fracture the mist.

We know you're here, Mclaughlin. There's no getting away. Caleb slips the mirror from his pocket and angles it. His own face slides briefly over the surface, then the end of the alley comes into their view.

A death eater standsthere, wand glowing in the mist. "Perhaps you need some convincing."

Noah grimaces and turns to face his friends concerned, "What's he mean by that?" Millie gasps, eyes looking upward. Noah and Caleb follow her gaze.

Just above the rooftops, barely distinguishable from the night, dementors drift like smoke. As Caleb draws his wand, Millie's hand covers his. She whispers, "No, you'll give us away."

The night grows darker, the streetlights dim. The trio's breath drifts visibly in the gathering chill. As the dementors descend, the trio grimace, beset by bleak thoughts.

A tear escapes Millie's eye, trails down her cheeks. Finally, Caleb can take it no more. "Expecto Patronum!" A silver stag bursts from his wand and charges down the street, scattering the Dementors before vanishing around the other side of the Hog's Head Inn.

The voice of a death eater booms loudly, "It's him! He's down there!" Footsteps clatter on the cobblestones. Caleb, Noah and Millie glance desperately about when suddenly, bolts grind, hinges squeal and a door opens.

A cat slithers out and a man appears in silhouette, the profile familiar, "In here.." Caleb, Noah and Millie slip quickly past the man and inside. He gestures toward a rickety wooden staircase, and brings a finger to his lips.

They enter a room with a thread bare carpet and a small fireplace, above which hangs a large oil painting of a blonde girl with a sweet, but vacant stare.

He steps to a grimy window and peers down to the street, where half a dozen death eaters glance about in confusion. Just then, Millie and Noah enter the room. "Did you get a look at him! For asecond I thought it was–!"