The Broken Hunt

THE BROKEN HUNT

Folding his fingers around the orb, he brings it to his lips briefly, then turns it over in his palm

Folding his fingers around the orb, he brings it to his lips briefly, then turns it over in his palm. The Snitch's tired wings go still. Then, as if writtenby an invisible hand, words appear on the smooth goldensurface: "I open at the close."

Caleb's eyes widen, "Millie!" He slips through the flap of the tent and runs outside to where Millie is seated and hands her the Snitch. "You were right. It's like you said. Snitches have flesh memories. But I didn't catch my first Snitch with my hand. I almost swallowed it."

Millie watches the words vanish on the orb. "I open at the close?"

Caleb sits down in front of her with a sigh, "What do you reckon it means?"

"I don't know. But look," She shifts in her seat as she pulls out a book, "I've found something as well..." She turns The Tales of Beedle the Bard into the flickering light, points to the top of the title page, to a small drawing of a triangular eye.

She purses her lips, "I thought it was a picture of an eye, but now I don't think it is. It isn't a rune and it's not in Spellman's Syllabary either. And its been inked in, somebody drew it, it isn't part of the book."

Caleb stares at the small drawing for a second and sighs, "Luna's dad was wearing that, at Bill and Fleur's wedding when I met him for a second."

Millie tilts her head with a confused expression, "What do you mean, wearing it?"

"Around his neck. Like an amulet." Caleb says, "I didn't think much of it at the time. You know Luna... she's always got some mad thing or the other she's carrying around. I just figured it ran in the family."

Millie rubs her eyes and looks over at him, "Why would someone have drawn it in a children's book?" As Millie shakes her head, musing, Caleb eyes her.

"Millie, I've been thinking. I– I want to go to Godric's Hollow. It's where I was born, it's where my parents died..."

Millie grimaces, "And it's exactly where You-Know-Who will expect you to go. Because it means something to you."

Caleb bites his lip, "But it means something to him too, Millie. You-Know-Who nearly died there. Wouldn't that be just the kind of place he'd hide a Horcrux?"

Millie eyes him. Despite herself, she knows he's right. "It's dangerous, Caleb. But I have to admit, recently even I've been thinking we might have to go. I think it's possible something else is hidden there. The sword. If Dumbledore didn't want it falling into the Ministry's hands, but wanted you to find it, what better place to hide it than the birthplace of the founder of Gryffindor himself?"

Caleb's eyes widen in surprise, "Godric's Hollow is the birthplace of Godric Gryffindor... I mean, of course it is. Obvious, isn't it?"

Millie eyes him knowingly, "Caleb, did you ever even open Hogwarts: A History?"