Past, Present, and Future

PAST, PRESENT, AND FUTURE

Lockhart walks ahead of Caleb and Noah, their wands pointed at him

Lockhart walks ahead of Caleb and Noah, their wands pointed at him. Moaning Myrtle floats above the cistern. "Who's there? Oh..." She smiles, flirty, "Hello, Caleb. What do you want?"

Caleb rolls his eyes without letting her see, "To ask you how you died."

Myrtle puts a hand to her chest, "Oooooh, it was dreadful. It happened right here. In this very cubicle. I'd hidden because Olive Hornby was teasing me about my glasses. I was crying, and then I heard somebody come in."

Caleb furrowed his brows, "Who was it, Myrtle?"

"I don't know! I was distraught! But they said something funny. A kind of made-up language. And I realized it was a boy speaking. So I unlocked the door, to tell him to go away, and... I died."

Caleb bit his lip, "Just like that? How?"

"No idea. I just remember seeing a pair of great big yellow eyes. Over there..." Myrtle points to the bank of sinks. Caleb and Noah hurry
over, examining the pipes below, the tile above, then...

Caleb sees it, etched on one of the copper taps is a tiny snake carving. "This is it, Noah. This is the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets."

Noah's eyed widen, "Say something, Caleb. Say something in Parseltongue."

Caleb stares off self-consciously at the tiny snake. He whispers, open up, in Parseltongue. The circular group of sinks open and a large, open pipe is seen. Gilderoy nervously chuckles, "Excellent, Caleb. Good work. Well then. I'll just be going. There's no need for me..."

"Oh, yes there is. You first." Caleb points his wand at Lockhart, then the opening.

"Now, boys. What good will it do?"

"A bloody lot of good if it's a two-hundred-foot drop onto jagged rocks." Noah responds.

Lockhart steps grimly to the dark, gaping hole. Noah gives him a shove and he topples headfirst and out of sight. They wait, until finally... "It's really quite filthy down here."

Caleb nods, "All right. Let's go." He jumps after him and a few seconds later, Noah follows.

The two slide wickedly fast, in a hair-raising
vertical plummet, catching glimpses of other, smaller pipes branching off in all directions, twisting and turning until the pipe levels off, dumps them onto the damp floor of a stone tunnel.

Lockhart stares miserably at the muck dripping from his robes. Harry takes a torch from the wall, and poises his wand. "Lumos!" The torch blooms with a bright orange flame. "Remember. Any sign of movement, close your eyes straight away."

Caleb leads down the way in the tunnel but stops when he hears a thud behind him. He turns to see Lockhart on the floor, passed out. "Heart of a lion, this one." Noah mutters, he kneels by him, when suddenly, Lockhart's eyes open and, quick as a fox, he snatches Noah's wand and scrambles to his feet.