Chapter 7: Bearing The Weight

Magsimula sa umpisa

Cold ran down my spine. He was looking at his wound. I sighed and held his arm gently.

"I understand it's your job to hunt every bad guy in the city but please take care of yourselves," I said as I gently cleaned his wound with a swab of cotton. His arms were strong, like that of a true warrior. As if he'd been doing this work for a long time. And to think that hindi nagkakalayo ang edad namin, he must be learning how to fight at a very young age. I wonder how he, the twins and Exene met.

"The Duke made the right choice of appointing you as a healer. You are a good person. Your family must be proud." He said. When I look up to see his face, he was looking longingly into the window. As if recalling some memory he cherishes most.

We were silent the whole time as I wrapped the bandage on his wound. When I was done, he looked at it carefully.

"Thank you, Lily of the West."

"Next time, do me a favor and do your best not to get wounded."

He merely nodded and walked out of the clinic.

* * *

Apparently, the festival is celebrated for one whole week. I just stayed inside the house brewing medicine while the others are roaming around, making sure the city is safe. They should really need some guards here. And true to his words, Exene already had men working on the greenhouse. I talked to him about my stay here. I figure I should earn my keep. At first, he did not want it but after a few arguments and sarcastic remarks, he finally gave in.

I was walking down the hallway on my way to the gardens when I saw a petite woman. And when she turned I saw a bump on her tummy. Seven months.

She smiled radiantly at my direction that I have to look behind me. Baka iba ang nginingitian niya. But when I walked closer, her eyes were certainly on me. And they were sparkling as she walked closer and held my hand.

"You must the new member of my brother's house."

Brother?

A hand flew into my mouth. She's one of the princesses? I was about to curtsy nang pigilan niya ako. A strong grip on my shoulder.

"No, please no. Just call me Muriel. You're Liliana, right?"

"You can call me Lily. Um ..." I feel suddenly uncomfortable with her grin as she looked at me.

"Are you looking for Exe—the Duke? I don't think he's in the house, though."

"That's exactly why I went here, dahil wala siya. If he sees me here, he'll send me home immediately. I only have four months to stay here before I go back to Sicily."

I have no idea what she's talking about.

"Then can I help you?"

"Napagpasyahan kong magpunta rito because I like to meet you. Quinny wants to meet you too but she's out of town. Anyway, shall we go for a walk?"

She wants to meet me?

* * *

We walked down the newly trimmed grasses and bushes. I can still smell the strong smell of grass. I was about to tell my companion to walk on the part of the garden but she seems to enjoy it here so I did not bother.

"I heard where you came from. You're quite famous, you know. We know there's a very skillful healer in Sandovia but we don't know who it is. And then Exene reported to the Palace that he has a new member of his house. That's when we knew who you are. Lily of the West, your patients call you that, right?"

Speechless, I only managed a nod. I wonder if she knew why I left. But whether she knows it or not, she did not show it. She did not even ask why I am suddenly in Oregon.

"I left my city," I muttered. Something about her makes me want to tell her everything.

"The son of the High Lord threatened me to marriage. So I ran away. I don't want to be a part of that pig's collection. The Duke promised he'd keep me here away from Emerich Sardon-"

"Come with me to Sicily."

"Ha?"

"I'm leaving in four months. You can come with me." She's now holding my two hands, eyes hopeful. Damn. Refusing a princess is one thing but refusing a pregnant woman is another. Anong sasabihin ko sa kanya? That I am bound to a contract with Exene? No, I'd be lying.

"Come with me to Sicily. We can protect you from that High Lord son—"

"Are you trying to take away my employee, dear sister?"

Napalingon ako sa pinanggalingan ng boses. And then I saw Exene just a few steps away from us. Beside him are the twins who were both grinning from ear to ear.

"Hi, Tam!" They greeted my companion. Tam?

"Ba't ang aga mong umuwi? Davis said you won't be home until tonight."

"And Davis also told me you're here kaya ako narito. And what are you doing with my healer?"

I saw Muriel's eyebrow raised at that and then a grin flashed across her face. "I'm taking her, Exene. She'll go with me to the Palace. She'll stay there until we go to Sicily."

What? I was about to retort when she already dragged me across the lawn. I looked back to where Exene and the twins are. Exene was shaking his head while the twins are waving their hands at me. Seriously?

"Ah, Muriel,"

"Yes, dear?" She said, panting. Ang bilis niya kasing maglakad.

"Let's walk slowly. Baka manganak ka nang wala sa oras. They're not following us. And with your statement earlier, I don't think I can go to the Palace with you. The people here need me. There's not a single day those bastards were unharmed."

"Come on, Exene's a doctor. He can handle it."

Oh, god.

"Yes, but he sometimes hurts himself too. Last day, he had a sprain on his wrist. Maybe tomorrow one or two of them will have vicious cut or a sprain for all I know."

She sighed, shoulders slumped. But she smiled at me. "Be sure to visit me at the Palace, okay? I'll be waiting for you. At magtatampo talaga ako sa'yo kapag hindi ka dumating."

God, why are pregnant women like this? I just smiled at her before she sauntered to the gates kung saan may nakaabang nasasakyan. Before she got in, she waved at me and I waved back.

I made my way inside the house and found the four of them in the foyer. Davis Black was leaning on the wall, the twins are standing at the center, Levi looking at the floor and Luca playing with his knife. Exene was at the center too looking straight at me. I looked at them confusingly. They all looked at me when they noticed my presence.

"Is there some problem?"

"I thought you're going to the Palace?" Exene asked. I shrugged.

"It's better if you were there."

A question formed in my mind and it must have shown in my face as Levi answered my question.

"There's ... a group of people who kidnaps children. And another group of children is missing as reported."

I stifled a whimper. Instead, I asked, "And you're all going to hunt them down?" My gaze darted to Davis Black who was looking at the floor. Nobody answered but I know what it's going to be.

"Mag-iingat kayo. And please," I sighed as I looked at them one by one. "Do me a favor and don't get hurt."

"I am afraid that is impossible, Lily of the West." Sinamaan ko ng tingin si Lucas.

"Then at least don't die. I can't afford to embalm all four of you."

A cocky grin flashed across Exene's face while the twins roared in laughter. Davis Black's mouth twitches upward before he pulled off from the wall.

"We won't. We'll come back in one piece."

And they walked out of the foyer— the Duke and his Generals.

* * *

V

ote and Comment!