She shrugged and kept walking, past the fronds and flowers to the terrace and into the castle. The servants were beginning their morning rounds, preparing the castle for the many guests and spectators whom would flood it by midday.

Kitaya ignored their small bows of acknowledgement as they walked by and hurried to the north wing where Eriani and Kemah's quarters were located.

The Shujaa guards standing watch outside the door paid her no mind as she barged in. She bypassed small sitting area with its black furniture and gold accents. Beyond it was an archway partitioned off by curtains.

Kitaya brushed them aside and stepped into the bedroom. Eriani sat in front of her vanity, rubbing oils into her skin. No servants ever lingered here. The Queen didn't like being crowded and chose to go through her dressing routines on her own.

"It's me," Kitaya said, not moving from the archway. "Kemah said you needed to talk."

The Queen met her eyes in the vanity's mirror. "Did you see the medics?"

"They came to my room last night. I'm fine. So is Chaga." She leaned against the archway and folded her arms.

"Good." Eriani removed the silk scarf from her head. Setting her braids free to cascade down her back. "Do you know why I sought to form an alliance with the Ravinians?" When Kitaya didn't answer, she continued. "They have ambervite in abundance."

Ambervite? That's what this was about? Some expensive ore? "We have heaps of it stowed away in the Andedarian vaults already. Why do we need more?"

"It's not about us having it or needing it, Kitaya." The Queen rose from the vanity to face her. "It's about our enemies not having it. I don't care much for the Ravinians myself, but I will take any and all opportunities to make the enemies of Kon suffer."

And Kemah had said she was the one reveling in discord. "Is that all you wanted?"

"No. Once the Ravinians leave, we should expect a shipment of ambervite in a month's time. I want it to go to the vault in Abydon. I plan to contact Barish today, and I want you to help Mellidius with delivering it there."

"Why?"

The Queen waved her hand around as she spoke. "You wanted something to do. This is something to do."

The words hit Kitaya like a slap. Here she was worried about her future, and the Queen had boiled down all her fears to something as fickle as wanting "something to do." She stomped down the anger rising in her blood before it boiled over, not wanting to waste her strength with more petty arguments.

"I'll consider it."

"Good." The queen plucked her crown from its velvety pillow and laid it atop her immaculately styled braids. "I hope to see you at the hearings later today. You were wronged. You should be there."

Kitaya grimaced. To sit and watch all those people be sentenced to whatever heinous punishment the Queen deemed fit... Not something she was keen on doing. She bid Eriani farewell and hurried from the room before she imploded.

The walk back to the main foyer felt longer and more arduous than usual. Her legs wobbled and her feet were unsure. Several times she glanced up and down the hall to reorient herself. She was so lost in her own head that she almost didn't hear when someone called out to her.

Kitaya turned to see Rehema striding towards her. "What...? What are you doing here?"

"Good morning, my lady. I came to give a statement to the Council on what happened yesterday." She frowned at Kitaya. "You seem a little tired. Perhaps you should get some rest."