Chapter 31

Kon, 1,000 years ago...

Kitaya stretched her arms over her head, a sense of invigoration filling her body, akin to how she felt after a successful flight, or learning a tough maneuver. Had she known sooner that something as simple as a protest could be so powerful, she would've opted for that instead of fighting Mellidius for the Behemoth.

Even as she walked into the dining hall, the chants of the demonstrator filtered into the room, just as strong as they were the previous day. The Ravinians sat on one side of the table, the King, a girl Kitaya hadn't met yet and two guards flanking them. One of said eyed her with lips twisted as she made her way to her seat.

Eriani was at the helm, flanked by Kemah, Mellidius and Shara. They only offered her cursory looks as she came into the chamber.

"Good morrow, family." Kitaya took her place at the table and poured herself a helping of tea. "So what's on the agenda today?"

"So you can bring your hordes of screaming animals to ruin it?" Mellidius scoffed. "I swear of all the nonsensical stunts you've pulled this is by far the lowest."

She arched a delicate brow. "I'm sure the people of Kon would love to know that their future King thinks them animals for exercising their right to protest. I'll be sure to pass on the message for you, Mellidius."

The girl startled and dropped her tea, spilling the scalding liquid on her hands. She bit back her lip and probably a swear or two as she shook her fingers to cool them.

Kitaya hid her laugh behind her tea. Poor thing was as jumpy as a hare.

"You need to be more careful, Raylen," Damian said, taking the girl's hands in his.

Raylen wrenched her hands from his grasp. "Just stop, papa."

Kitaya was sure if she should smile at the discord before her or cringe at the use of that human term.

The Ravinian King frowned. "What's the matter with—"

"I told you we shouldn't have come here!" she screeched. "These people hate us! They'd rather see us dead!"

He kept his voice gentle. "That's not true."

"It is true," Kitaya said with a snort. She folded one leg over the next and stroked the dagger-like spear tip of the Behemoth. "In fact, the only reason you're not skewered against a wall is due to the immunities the Queen has granted you."

One of the guards shot up from his seat fast enough for it to hit the ground. Hand on his blade and mouth fixed in a snarl, he looked ready to pounce over the table.

She dared him with a wicked smile.

"No, Garrett." The King grabbed the guard by the arm. "Do not fall prey to her taunts. We are better than this."

Garret righted his chair and sat down, but his snarl remained, even as he dug into his food.

"How disappointing." Kitaya hadn't had an excuse to use the Behemoth since she got it.

"Enough." Eriani dabbed at her lips with a delicate silk napkin. "I will get the medics to check the child's hands." She cut her eyes to Kitaya. "Get out."

"As her Majesty commands." Kitaya rose from her seat and gave a deep bow to the head of the table before leaving the room. The Head Archivist was just beyond the door, book in hand as always.

"Oh, Kitaya. Just the woman I wanted to see," he said with a smile. "I'd like to speak with you about the protests. Will you have time this afternoon?"

"Of course. I can't say where I'll be, but follow the crowds and you'll find me." She gave him a smile and a wave before hurrying down the hall.

That little meeting didn't yield as much as she'd wanted, but it was nice knowing their protest was having an effect. If they could figure out a way to use the girl – Raylen's – fear to their advantage, the Ravinians would be off their lands soon enough.