Chapter 10

Kitaya trailed her hands along the walls of the castle. Home. She'd missed this place with its familiar honey scent, thick walls and needlessly confusing maze of halls. How many times had she gotten lost within them, she wondered. Countless. The most she'd been able to do in such a predicament was wander around until she found something familiar. Such was the beauty of Castle Kon.

Hopefully Aldeheid had stayed in his room and not gone wandering himself. She know how curious he could get whenever they visited somewhere new to him. Kitaya turned down the main hall of the castles east wing, hung a right and followed the hall down to Aldeheid's room. When she knocked, several muffled crashes and thumps sounded from beyond the door, making her frown.

"Angel eyes?"

The door swung open and Aldeheid stepped out, his cheeks tinged red and his clothes a bit disheveled. "H-hi," he said. 

"Hi." She leaned to the side and caught a glimpse of the mess in the room. The box was turned on its side, its contents helter skelter on the floor. She wasn't even going to ask. "Let's go. There's a lot for us to see." 

She led Aldeheid out to the main hall. "When you're walking around the castle, try to stick to halls that look like this. If you find one that only has lights, turn back, because I guarantee you will get lost." 

"Why are there so many empty halls?" Aldeheid asked. "Is it some kind defense mechanism?"

Kitaya shrugged. "I have absolutely no idea. I don't know what the first ruler was thinking when her built this glorified maze, or what subsequent rulers were thinking when they expanded it."

They continued their long walk down to the ground floor and out to the and out to the east garden. Kitaya walked the winding pathway through the flowering plants and vine-covered pillars to the sand pit where much of her blood sweat and tears had been shed. "I used to spend a lot of time out here training with Kemah. Brings back memories."

A shadow passed over their heads, and Kitaya looked up in time to see a Lyberra land on the perch above the sand pit. He fluffed out his wings before sitting with his paws crossed. 

"Chaga!" Kitaya squealed. She bounded up to the top of the perch ad all but tackled the Lyberra, fluffing up his mane. "It's so good to see you, boy."

Chaga purred in earnest and turned over so she could scratch under his neck. His golden fur shimmered brightly in the sunlight.

"Aldeheid get up here, we're going to chase the sun." It had been ages since she'd flown. And she'd give anything to bask in the freedom and abandon of the skies.

He blinked up at her, and stuck his hands in the pockets of his slacks. "No."

"What do you mean no? This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. People travel to Kon from far and wide to ride on a Lyberra. And you're just going to stand there and say no?"

"That sounds grand, kitten. But I saw how high up that thing was before it came down here. One wrong move and I slip and fall to my death." He crossed to one of the benches and took a seat, tipping his head back towards the sun. "You can go, but I'm staying here."

"But we're supposed to go see the rest of Kon." She made a sweeping gesture with her hand.

"Indeed, but, I have two more days until our bonding ceremony. And you what else I have two of?" He pointed to his boots. "Feet, that work just fine."

"Please, angel eyes, for me?" She gave him her best puppy face, though it probably wasn't as effective or convincing as his own. "I promise I'll make it worth your while. By the end of the day, you'll be thanking me."