Chapter One.

Madeline-

I can feel the despair and pity seep from my body as I unravel myself from my blanket. The stench of pain and stupidity overcoming my room.

"Get up," I hear Daniel, my best friend coaching me from my bedside.

"Why?"

"We're moving into our new dorms before the new year starts," He nudges at my butt.

"Get away from me," I groan and roll on my side.

"Trust me I don't wanna get any closer to you then I have to," he pushes me again, "take a shower... you smell horrid."

"Shut the hell up," I finally pull myself from my bed.

"She lives!"

I take the pillow from behind my head and chuck it at him.

As he laughs and leaves the room I stand up and walk to the bathroom. I almost scream as I look in the mirror.... I would've cheated too if I woke up next to this.

I sigh as my heart feels heavy. I step into the warm waterfall and let my mind calm itself. The sad thoughts, the pain, the dried tears, all of it washes away. Time to focus on me. Five weeks of heartache is well over long enough.

After my enlightening shower I step out, feeling like a new person. As I feel the cool air graze my skin I pull a t shirt and compression shorts out of my bin. As I dress myself I start thinking of the horrid thoughts that have kept me trapped for the past few weeks.

"No," I whisper to myself, "it's your junior year at fvcking Harvard... don't let Anthony ruin this for you. You're an RA and you're passing everyone in your class. He's not worth the pain."

"Damn right," Daniel speaks again from the doorway. I smile and he walks to me slowly.

"There's those pretty white pearls we've all been looking for," I smile and hug him.

"Love you, Danny," I laugh as he pulls away.

He just kisses my head and helps me load my boxes onto the dolly.

"I guess it's a good thing you're a minimalist," he sarcastically speaks from the hall.

"It's only two buildings away," I roll my eyes.

He looks at me, clearly irritated, "you're a god damn track runner... cardio is nothing for you. I get winded walking to my fridge."

I smile as I shut my dorm door for the last time. It's a bittersweet feeling. There are a lot of great memories, from the first study session at the school of my dreams, to my very first hangover.

"Come on sweetie," he whispers, "we gotta get you and your office set up."

I nod and as we make our way out of the building I slide my key onto the check in table.

As we step outside I look back at the talk brick building, "goodbye... thanks for doing me well my first couple of years."

"Mads," Daniel chimes in, "it's a building... not a parent."

I smile and shake my head as I follow alongside my best friend to our new building.