Collapse

You weren't sure what time it was when you finally woke up, blinking slowly against the sleepy haze weighing down your eyelids. But you grew aware of something — something that gradually dawned on you as the last vestiges of sleep trickled from your mind.

It was the first night you'd slept peacefully in God only knows how long — No sterile white platforms, no suspended androids, no blinking red LEDs.

No nightmares.

Something heavy and warm rested over your waist, heavier than your blanket, and you nuzzled into that warmth, pressing your slightly-numb cheek into it as the darkened bedroom greeted you, broken only by the soft blue glow of Connor's LED. You opened your eyes all the way, and a minuscule flash of yellow broke through as Connor stared at you.

"Good morning."

"Good morning," You echoed.

You were wide awake now, your mind quickly reconstructing all that happened and throwing it behind your eyes in stark quality. You tensed, heart rate picking up, and Connor's brown eyes flicked down again to analyze. His expression remained impassive, giving no clue as to what was going on in his mind. Connor ended up breaking the silence first.

"Did you sleep well?" He asked softly.

No nightmares, you thought, and simply nodded in a way you hoped didn't give away your growing nervousness.

But you couldn't stop the tremor in your hand that made your fingers twitch against his skin. Slowly, Connor's fingers worked their way between yours. You calmed a bit after that, and judging from the smile that quirked at his lips, Connor noticed the effect his actions had on you.

He noticed everything.

Your chest clenched, thoughts and heart stuttering at his watchful gaze that reminded you of his thoughtful gestures last night — hesitating between kisses to make sure you were okay, asking if you needed to slow down, and following you to the shower to wash your hair. It all felt like too much, too overwhelming, and you hid a hitched breath as a familiar tightness worked its way to your throat.

Oh no, you thought, gritting your teeth, we're not going to mess this up by crying the morning after.

It didn't matter that you clenched your jaw and forced yourself to remain calm. The moment you averted your gaze, Connor brought your joined hands to his lips and pressed a soft kiss to your fingertips before caressing your cheek. Neither of you moved or said anything for a few moments, just stared at each other's faces, bare bodies tangled in the sheets.

"I think I'm obsessed with you," He admitted quietly.

Fuck. You couldn't help it. Your eyes widened, resolve breaking, and your lip trembled slightly as you tried to still your racing heart.

Connor's LED immediately flickered yellow. "I'm sorry. I—"

You shook your head, begging your breathing to stabilize, "No, Connor you didn't do anything wrong," You struggled to articulate what you wanted, no needed, to say, "I just—I just don't know what I did to deserve this."

"I don't understand what you mean."

"Why are you so good to me?"

"Because I want to."

"Why?" You asked and saw his LED spinning yellow, flickers of red bleeding through. Connor looked wrecked.

"Is that—Do you not believe me?"

Your chest clenched painfully, regret washing over you. "That's not what I—I'm sorry, Connor."

You didn't know how else to express this mess of feelings swimming inside you, so you brought his hand up with yours and flattened your fingers and palms against each other, just as he showed you last night. Slowly, you pressed your hands together until his synthetic skin retracted in glittering blue, and you felt the familiar thrum of current against your skin. You couldn't feed any data back, but you hoped Connor would understand.