Chapter Thirty-Two

1

"So glad you could join us, Audrey. Evie." He nodded to the two women. "You're just in time to get tattooed. Oh, and there's an extra-special surprise at the end. But I won't give you any spoilers. Oh what the hell, I can't keep a secret. I'm going to fuck y'all before you die!" He laughed and covered his mouth in faux shock.

The expression on Audrey's face was anything but fake. The words sounded wrong coming from the boy.

"I'm just trying to figure out what took you so long, Miz Audrey. Good thing I wasn't the one dying." Another laugh. "All jokes aside, though, welcome to my humble abode." He spread his arms and turned toward them, folding into a deep bow.

He thinks he's the Lord of the castle, Audrey heard Evie say in her head.

What the hell? When did I become telepathic?

You're not, Audrey heard Evie's voice again, as clear as if she'd spoken beside her. Think of this as a one-time-only offer. She could hear the smile behind Evie's words. Now, we hafta stop him from carving up my grandson like the Thanksgiving turkey.

But how?

Evie laughed without sound. By the amazing power of distraction. He likes you, as much as a demon can like someone and still be pure evil. You get his attention, I'll grab Brad.

"Hey! Stop talking!" Alan stared at them, knife still in hand.

How did he hear us? Audrey directed to Evie.

He didn't. He's guessing. Answer him.

"We're - We're not. I was just thinking."

"No you weren't." His crimson eves bored into Audrey, and she trembled.

"I was. I'm on your side, Alan. I want to help." She swallowed the bile that treated to come up and took a step closer. The blood on the knife glimmered in the candlelight.

"Lies. You're with him." He jerked the knife in Bradley's direction.

"No, really. I'm with you, Alan." Another step. "I've always been on your side." Another faltering step.

"You...want me?" She'd clearly confused him now. "Why?"

Oh shit. "Because you were my first friend here. I like you." She swallowed more bile, and Alan moved toward her.

"You like me," he pondered, holding the knife like a pen and twirling it. Evie was the last thing on his mind, and Audrey watched her float toward Bradley out of her peripheral.

"Yes." She hoped she sounded more convincing aloud than she did in her mind.

Alan stepped closer. "Take off your shirt."

The demand caught Audrey off guard. "What?"

"You heard me. Take off your shirt." His voice was cold, calculated.

"I - you, you're a child."

His laugh echoed off the block walls. "I am not a child. I merely chose to take the form of a child to be more appealing to you. It's my understanding you want nothing more in the world than to be a mother, no?"

"But your father-"

"Ah, yes. My father. Imagine how thrilled he was when his long-dead son waltzed through the door of his shop. Though it didn't take the man long to realize I wasn't his precious son. Remember when I told you he hated me?" He didn't wait for an answer. "It was true. The man was smarter than I'd counted on. Such a shame I had to dispose of him." He pointed to the far wall. A crack formed in the center, growing larger and larger until it became a rounded doorway. The bloated body of Albert Mills fell forward onto the floor. The smell of decomposition hit Audrey seconds later. The room began to swim, and her vision darkened around the edges. The reality of the situation hit her. Alan Mills, rather what was inside Alan Mills, was behind the murders in Blackwater Springs.