Chapter Twenty-Five

1

"What does it mean?" Eileen asked Audrey.

"I don't know." Audrey's eyes were too big in her ghost-white face. Eileen's features mirrored Audrey's. "All I know is that that poem wasn't there when we moved in."

"Then who done it?"

"I don't know that, either. Did you see anything when you were in here alone?"

The question must have came out more accusatory than she'd meant, because Eileen replied, "Are you insinuating I did it?"

"No. No." Audrey's answer came out a little too fast; in truth, she was contemplating the possibility that Eileen had done it.

"Maybe we should take a picture of it or something, you know, like evidence."

"It won't work," Audrey said.

"What do you mean it won't work?"

Audrey sighed. She'd been hoping to avoid this conversation with Eileen since she'd met her, but there was no avoiding it now. "Picture don't turn out right out here." Better to just get it out in the open than to beat around the bush.

"Don't turn out how? Like blurry?"

"Like black. Like you have your finger over the lens."

"Why?"

"I don't know."

Eileen sniffed. "There sure is a lot you don't know about this place."

"I just moved here. This time a month ago, I didn't know this town even existed, much less that it was chock full of crazy shit going down."

"Sorry. So why don't you tell me the stuff you do know? Like what the fuck is going on in this place."

Audrey sighed. You better sit down, then. I haven't been here very long, but if you want me to tell you about the stuff I've experienced, it's gonna take awhile."

"Sure, fine. But can we go back to the kitchen? I don't want that creepy-ass poem staring down at me while we're talking."

2

"Are you sure that you're not nuts? That I'm not?" Eileen asked when Audrey was finished with her story.

"I don't know about you, but I'm positive I'm not."

"What does Detective Stevens think about all this?"

"He believes a big part of it. But I guess some things are too crazy for a man of logic to believe. I'm not sure I would have believed it had I not went through it myself."

"So, you can only see these things if you have the Sight? What about me? I saw that face in the tv, and I don't have any birthmarks."

"Are you sure?"

"I think. I used to have a port-wine stain on my inner thigh, but it faded. I don't remember what shape it was in."

"Then it's possible you do have the Sight, too!"

"Yeah, I don't know about that," Eileen said. "I never saw ghosts or anything before in my life until earlier."

"It's this town," Audrey said. "I never had a paranormal experience either, 'til I moved here." Eileen looked at her with one eyebrow raised. "And just look what it's done to John. He used to be the sweetest, most caring person. Now it's like he's-"

"Possessed," Eileen finished. "I don't know about spirits and stuff, but I was raised Catholic. I do believe in demons and possession."

"Maybe that's what's going on here. It would explain a lot."

A knock at the front door made both women jump. "Bradley?" Eileen asked.

Audrey shook her head. and pointed to the screen door across the room."He'd use the kitchen door."

"Then who?" The knock sounded again, this time louder. Audrey didn't reply. She picked up the forty-five she'd laid on the counter and went to answer the door.

Every nerve ending in her body tingled as she turned the doorknob. Time seemed to slow as she pulled the door open. She heaved a relieved sigh when she saw it was just Nan, standing on the porch. "Goodness gracious, child, you're a mess," Nan said and enveloped Audrey in a hug. "What in the world's goin' on? And why do you have a gun?"

3

Nan sat across from the two girls, steaming mug of coffee in hand. "When you didn't call me, Audrey, I got worried. I left Tom with your mother and drove down here."

"I'm fine, Nan. You can go back to be with Pap now."

"Fine? Audrey, forgive me for saying this, but you look like hell."

"I had a rough night." It wasn't exactly a lie.

"I think it's more than that." Nan could be perceptive when she wanted to be. "You still haven't introduced me to your friend."

"Nan, this is Eileen. Eileen, my grandmother, Helen."

"Nice to meet you, Helen."

Nan laughed. "Please, call me Nan. The only one that calls me Helen is my husband, and then only when I ignore him." Eileen giggled. Nan turned her attention back to her granddaughter. "Now, where's that man of yours? Shouldn't he be home this morning?"

Audrey wriggled in her seat and looked as if she'd been caughg in the cookie jar before dinner. "He's..." If she had time, she could think of a believeable explanation. That was impossible when she was under her grandmother's stare. She could say John was working, but Eileen would know better, and might say so.

As if on cue, Eileen chirped, "Bradley had to take a guy in for questioning. He said he'd be back later."

Audrey cringed. Why did you have to open your mouth? she directed to Eileen, wishing like hell she was telepathic. Nan didn't comment, and if it had been anyone else, Audrey would have thanked her stars. With Nan, though, Audrey knew the woman would store the information and bide her time until she could bring up the subject. All she said was, "Well, that explains the truck outside," and continued to sip her coffee. "But that doesn't tell me why you didn't call and let me know you made it home all right."

Audrey had an answer for this. "I was tired. I came home and crashed."

"But not before you invited friends over?" Nan sat her mug on the table with a little thud. Was Nan jealous? "I was worried about you, Audrey. Anything could've happened."

"Nothing did. We're fine, Nan." Eileen opened her mouth to speak, but closed it after Audrey gave her a look.

Nan sighed and leaned back in the chair. "I can see." If Eileen heard the sarcasm in Nan's voice, she didn't say anything. "Eileen, would you mind if I had a word with my granddaughter?"

"Of course not, ma'am." She stood and left Audrey alone in the kitchen with her grandmother.

Nan turned on Audrey the moment Eileen was out of earshot. "When were you gonna tell me you married a possessed man?"

"What?" Audrey feigned shock.

Nan stood. "I'm surprised you couldn't smell the stench of it yourself. Maybe it's not one of your talents." She sniffed the air and wrinkled her nose.

"Nan, John's not possessed. You probably smell a dead rat or something." Her voice sounded doubtful. John had changed since they'd moved, but he wasn't possessed. Was he?