CH IV "Kate Harrington V Tommy"

I was woken up by the intense odor of coffee, something I was not that used to, since Rafael usually had morning shifts and therefore the coffee-making task was reserved solely to me. It was a strange feeling that overtook me. For those first pure seconds that I woke up, you know, that moment when your memories are not yet complete, I felt calm. I inhaled the smell longingly, and for a blissful second I had nothing on my mind. But seconds pass quickly, and the image of Lily screaming, hit me harder than the smell of the fresh coffee. 

          It was the first time my nightmare was clear, no alcohol fog protected me now. Lily held my hand and was screaming at me, but I could hear no sounds. Her face reflected agony and pain, and I started yelling her name, but a cold wind started pushing her away from me. The moment our fingers untangled the sounds came on. The wind was howling and Lily levitated while screaming. And then everything stopped. She turned as in a slow motion towards me, her eyes blank. Literally blank. And that was it. 

"Good morning, crew!"

Luke stared at Rafael and me with a too big of a smile. My back hurt since I volunteered to sleep on the floor, in order for Luke to stay over. I was surprised to see Rafael at home, I hadn't seen him in the morning for pretty much a whole month.

"Why are you here?" I mumbled.

"That's no way to greet a friend at such an early hour. I do understand your confusion in regards to how early it is. What has it been since you were up at a time when the clock shows a single digit? A month? More?" Rafael smirked at me and then proceeded to such a wide yawn, he could swallow the cup that Luke had just put in front of him.

"I really think you should stick to two-word comebacks, it seems your organism cannot process this kind of smartass at this hour."

Luke laughed and Rafael started lazily sipping his cup of coffee.
"You're a life saver Luke, really."

"So, I've been told by many, many people" he winked and started putting on his jacket.

"Where are you going?"

"Dude what's with all these complex questions today, calm your brains down."

"I swear Rafael, I may punch you if you won't shut up."

"Actually I am going to Beth's."

"Oh." We said in a unison, and the atmosphere got a bit grimmer.

"I called her up this morning, told her I wanted to take a walk."

"Well, you do that. We'll work on the other stuff." I said reluctantly, since any thought of Tommy made me sick, and all I wanted was to drink the damn coffee.

          Luke had left for over an hour. Rafael and I seemed to have lost our early morning humor. I started concentrating on small tasks to pass the time without overthinking, like brushing my teeth, taking a shower, putting some clean clothes on, calling Duke and begging for a day off-

"What is with you guys!"

"What do you mean?"

"You both call in sick on the last minute. Both with a liver disease, which shall I inform you is not infectious nor contagious."

"Damn it Rafael!"

"Piss off copycat!"

"Look, Duke, I swear that is the last time, I just really, really need this one favor. It is very important. We're talking saving lives. Fighting evil. Destroying the capitalistic system."

"Oh, for God's sake, take the damn day off, but you both will work an extra shift on Saturday, got it?"

"Yes sir."

"Could you tell your other half too?"

"Rafael! Double shift on Saturday, it's you and me buddy!"

"Dope."

"Took care of it Duke!"

"Yeah, yeah I heard, I'm hanging up now."

"We love you Duke!"

"Yeah Duke you rock!"

"Wankers."

          All that was left now was to start a research party for Tommy. Rafael and I were usually good at getting information but our luck seemed to have finally vapor. We started off by visiting his family home, but his mother explained that "Oh, this boy ain't no boy of mine", and that she occasionally sees him in the streets, but "Did I tell you about the time I jumped to bushes to avoid him? That boy is pure evil," so we gave up on her. We then resorted to calling any acquaintances of ours, but no luck, all had lost any contact with him for about a week. I think we hit rock bottom when we went by Kate's place, and started discussing.

"I mean, dudes, my boobs are totally bigger than Emma's, right? She so looks like a manchild so I was like, Tom you better go and suck Emma's d*ck, I do not want to listen to you..."

"But Kate, he called you right?"

"Well, sure he did! Have you seen me? Platinum blond fits like a glove on me, right? I mean, take Emma for example, she has spikes right? Fucking spiky hair and a d*ck, of course he would call me! Anyway, her dad was in court for theft recently, why go touch a stealing manly-looking whore like that!"

"Kate! When. Did. He. Call. You."

"I'm not retarded Daniel. I do understand human speech. But why would you even ask about Emma. Are you into her now? Damn what is this thing with this girl, how could someone like you look at her? I thought being picky was your thing, Daniel."

"Kate. I am not interested in Emma. I did not say anything about her. I just want to know when did Tom call you?"

Her face transformed into an even dumber expression.
"Oh. My. God. Is he missing?"

"Fucking Kate Harrigton. Can't you answer the fucking question? When?"

"Shit Rafael, you were so nice in junior high."
Rafael facepalmed himself.

"It was about three, maybe four days ago?"

"And what did he say, Kate?"

"I told you stupid. I hung up on him. He was like oh, Kate, lemme talk to ya, and I was like ain't no second chances here."

We shut the door behind us.
"How the fuck could Tom live with that?"

I laughed and hit Rafael on the head, but, truth was, my heart was sinking. It was already dark out. We had nothing. Images of Tommy laying in some ditch started overflowing me. What if nobody found him because he overdosed somewhere? He had pills I knew that. He swore, weed is the only thing he does now, but seeing  recent circumstances, he could easily resort to anything else.

"Don't start panicking now Daniel." Said Rafael with a note of worry in his voice.

"I won't. We're going to find him." I said, but my faith was at its ending.

"Let's go home for now. We'll start looking for him in the morning. Well, you are, and then I'll take over at your shift. Deal?"

"Deal."

          We walked silently to our house. The silence was burdening, but in a way I felt like I deserved that burden. How could none of us think of Tom? He was young and so troubled. Why the hell did I devour in my denial for two whole weeks? I looked at Rafael. He was walking, his head facing down. I knew he was thinking the same. When we reached our house I saw Lily sitting on the porch. I saw Rafael getting stiff for a second, but he quickly recovered.

"Lily! What are you doing here?"

"What...what am I doing here?! After two weeks that's all you have to say?"

"I mean... Lily... I..." He was stuttering. I've never seen Rafael like that. He then looked at me and whispered "Daniel, say something."

I remained still for a solid minute, looking at her face, which looked nothing like in my nightmare. But I was somehow scared that any second now something bad would happen. I shrugged it all off, walked over to her. I tried my best at presenting the Daniel smile, which I bet was more like a grimace, and said "Lily. Would you like to come in?"

She didn't respond - she just walked in the house looking at the least mad, which in the past used to make me laugh because she was very tiny and anger did not become her. But now my heart started beating faster, as if I was reliving the state I was in my nightmare.