PART TWO CHAPTER XX "The wishbone and the backbone"

I opened my eyes carefully, a feeling of heaviness in my stomach. I had gradually started getting used to that feeling, even though it had occurred only for the past few weeks of my life. I drew the curtains while my mind did the same thing it had been doing for those past weeks- it felt like watching a movie, scenes from your life. All those scenes had one person in common. That person was Luke.

After showering I came closer to the mirror and stared at my reflection, trying to concentrate only on my face, rather than reminiscing my life. I carefully did my makeup, just like every other day. Following a routine was much easier. I heard no voices in the house which of course did not surprise me. My father's home was his office, rather than the building I inhabited. It used to bother me when I was a kid, but I overcame it pretty quickly. My mother was always hanging with her friends, probably in the country club. She had me when she was eighteen. Growing up, she was more like my friend than anything else. We mostly went shopping, to spas, or some elegant manicure places, which were by far my favorite. Truth be told, I liked having money. I enjoyed comfort and glamour. I liked having the best stuff, I liked seeing people's faces change when I entered a room. I was that girl.

One of my closest friends, since junior high, was Chloe. She was one of the most beautiful girls in school. We had nothing in common when it came to our appearance. She was tall, blond and skinny. The perfect American girl. We weren't the bad girls though. We never bullied anyone. We had standards when it came to people we hung out with, yes, but we never hurt anyone just because we could. We were always invited to parties, everyone wanted to hang out with us. I never paid it much attention when it happened, it was the only way I knew. Both Chloe and I, were a sort of a cliché. We knew everything about everyone and we liked being adored. We had a lot of fights over boys, but we always forgave each other in the end. Our only difference was that she was a really good student. I, however, to my father's disappointment, was not. And that's how, after high school, our paths parted.

I stayed in Bleak Hill, doing nothing in particular. I did think of going to college when I was younger, but then the idea sort of faded away. One of my first crushes was Daniel Peterson. He had that reputation of the bad boy with a golden heart you know, most girls went through a phase of liking him. I had never admitted it to Chloe, maybe it was because I knew he wouldn't have fallen for me. That was nothing to brag about. After school had finished, there was a party at Christmas time at one of my past classmate's house. We saw each other that night. He had a very attractive personality, he was just hard to get. I think it is female nature to want what we cannot have. Well, my scheme worked out that night, he had invited me over for the next day. I had accomplished to get Daniel Peterson. But when you have a crush on someone you tend to idealize them, well, turns out, Daniel was as cold as he had been to me, and I sort of gave up on him after that night. Luke's case was entirely different.

Luke was the guy who Chloe and I accepted, he was classically handsome and talented in sports. Since I was a cheerleader we always had some sort of contact. I don't know why we never dated in high school, but I think it's better that way. He used to have a soft spot for Chloe, well, not only her. He liked his girls, alright. He never hung out only with the jocks however. He was real good friends with Daniel and Tommy. I used to think of the three of them as somewhat immature troublemakers, but one day that changed. After high school, I was a bit lonely. I did hang out with people, I still had a way with boys, but it started getting bore some. Maybe I finally craved a bit of closeness since Chloe left. I saw Luke at a basketball field, at a time I had completely forgotten his existence. It all happened very naturally. It wasn't just that he was hot you know. My father used to call him a loser when he didn't manage to get accepted to a college. But it didn't matter. He was so different that my dad. He was kind. And he was loyal. Not only to me, but to his friends. I fell for that.

My mind had gone back to showing me those images I so hard tried to forget. It wasn't easy being in my room. It had become our room over the years. I used to love that. Now it only strengthened the painful feeling in my stomach. So I did the only thing that helped me, I got out of the house. That house was a prison cell. It hurt to be there.

I'll admit, after the accident I couldn't bear to be alone. Daniel, Rafael, Tom and Lily were the only people I occasionally hung out with in the past. I was shamelessly following them around. I was hoping some sort of understanding, that some way they would make me feel closer to Luke. Unfortunately, nothing like that happened. They seemed to be falling apart. Tom had pretty much vanished, Daniel was always absent at nights, and when he wasn't, he was hard to deal with. Rafael with Lily spend a lot of time together, but I couldn't help feeling unwelcome when I was with them. Well, not because of Lily. She always offered drinks and food. But none of them talked about Luke. It was like it hadn't happened. And that made things worse.

I didn't really have a plan of where to go until I overheard Ms. Lavasky talking to another lady about Daniel Peterson. "Haven't you seen him? He's been hoping in and out of our police department for months now!"

"I don't know Anny, maybe he's helping them, maybe he's helping his father with something."

"Oh, please, he hasn't had contact with him in years! I am telling you he is ending up in jail tonight. Anyway I have to go feed Bart (her dog), but I will find out what's he's done this time, God as my witness! I'll come by the afternoon for a tea, stay alert if you hear anything!"
Ms. Lavasky yelled her goodbyes while rushing to get to her house.

 Daniel in the police department, again. What is wrong with this boy! I didn't know if I was feeling anger or pity for him. But I knew what to do.