Hummingbird

School went on per the norm: Malcom's raggedy black VW van came to collect Jacqueline and Alexandria for school; gossip was overheard in the hallways; people shared their opinions with Alexandria on her campaign; but that's where it ended. Whenever someone mentioned the slaughterhouse, nobody could ignore the masterpiece spray painted on the side. Throughout the day, it was brought up and it made waves in the school news report. The legendary Long Shore High anchor and soon-to-be New York Times journalist, Bianca Williams, even had a pre-recorded interview with the detective on the case.

Jacqueline couldn't ignore it; her graffiti was everywhere and people approached her. They'd beg, plea, cry and some would threaten her to tell them if it was her. Swallowing the anguish was harder than she thought but Jacqueline Montreal was excellent at keeping her head down. The only time she seemed to be left alone was on her way to English - her class before lunch.

She buried herself into the seat with a few eyes watching her and whispering. With an inaudible exhale, she shut it all out as she paged through her notes. Mrs Hues was still talking to a student from her previous class when Hunter Hyde walked up to Jacqueline, with a few eyes dreamily following him. Others were whispering as he walked up to her.

Hunter hadn't been to school for weeks; he'd suffered a great deal from Arabella's manipulative nature and deceitful behavior. He had it bad for her and even let his guard down but she was involved with his uncle - who at that time was also their chemistry teacher. It didn't end there when she murdered her parents, her father's mistress, Hunter's pedophile uncle and one of her own friends. Her jealousy of seeing her friend with Dr. Coleman (Hunter's uncle) snapped her. Hunter suffered a lot because of her! The kick to the nuts was when he called his dad - Officer Hyde - when the news report came out at his Halloween party.

"Hey, Jack," he greeted nervously, gaining the attention of surrounding students. Jacqueline merely smiled at him as he tightened his grip on his backpack. "This's going to sound crazy but would you mind swapping seats with me? Just for today," he added and she complied wordlessly. "Thanks," he stated softly.

Mrs Hues began her lesson and Jacqueline noted the empty seat in front of her. With furrowed eyebrows, she turned to Hunter - who was know behind her. Awkwardly her lips parted as she thought of a way to explain her transition. "Thank you," she stated out of nowhere. "I got your message from Malcolm," she clarified when he eyed her in confusion. She turned back to the vacant seat and she new immediately why Hunter wanted to trade with her. Arabella Grayson.

She sat in front of him in English and she was his chemistry partner and sat diagonally across from him in world's history. Jacqueline stared at the vacant seat in front of her until Bianca Williams' voice buzzed over the p.a.. "This just in, Long Shore High," she began, "Alexandria Avery is willing to paying anyone with viable information about J.M. Hummingbird."

The news erupted a series of murmurs and caused Jacqueline to furrow her eyebrows. "'Hummingbird'," she mouthed.

"To J.M. Hummingbird, if you're out there, Alexandria Avery is urgently looking for you. The entire Green Cross Movement is. I quote 'you're one of us'." Jacqueline pursed her lips as she studied the p.a. speaker. "As you were." Bianca's voice vanished and Jacqueline felt a scream swell up inside her but swallowed it.

Students began to converse loudly which made Mrs Hues place a hand on her hip. "Hold up, guys," she yelled to silence her strident students. "Who's J.M. Hummingbird?" A group of girls near the back gasped. "Clearly someone important," she commented.