Artistic

Once they pulled up to the Montreal residence - and Alexandria finally let go the steam from the police's interruption - her frustration was directed to Jacqueline. "What did you create this time, Cézanne?" Jacqueline said nothing as they followed her up to her room. The vibrant walls were adorned with Jacqueline's artistic talents, ranging in no particular order or form. Splashes of graffiti, snippets of anime and tendrils of abstract tainted the four walls along with shelves and picture frames. Even the gray and black furniture of the room created a radical type of balance between the excitement  of the walls and added a sense of sophistication.

The closet and en suite bathroom doors were colored with tranquil yet monochromatic scenes. A teal, pastel blue and Caribbean blue waterfall. Damask, cherry pink and white forest of blossom. Rows and rows of a violet, plum and indigo lavender vineyard.

"I swear I find a new artwork whenever I come here," Malcolm stated before he sank into into the down-feather duvet, face first. "So soft," he groaned but the sound was muffled by his buried face in the fabric. Alexandria collapsed onto her back next to him while their host plastered her latest masterpiece into her source book. "Time for the big reveal," Malcolm declared after rolling over. "Show us!"

Alexandria bolted upright in anticipation while Jacqueline studied the hummingbird behind her initials, 'J.M.'. "It's nothing fancy," she admitted dully, "it's still a work in progress." She closed the book then returned it back on the shelf without showing them.

Her friends took a single look at her but it was Malcolm who broke the silence. "Your modesty annoys me. Plus you're super selfish; hiding your art from everyone?" He shook his head. "You have such an amazing gift!"

Alexandria rolled her eyes as she scrimmaged through her backpack. "On the topic of gifts," she began then handed a sealed box - that clearly housed spray paint - to the modest Montreal. "Happy birthday! It's from both of us because Malcolm forgot," she added quickly. "It's ozone friendly, lead-free, non-CFC emitting spray paint. Suitable for indoor and outdoor use. Just what every Long Shore artist needs for the Helena Scott mural award."

It was damn near impossible for Alexandria to forget Jacqueline's birthday because it was the day before hers. Every year since they were ten, Alexandria's only wish (apart from organic and sustainable lifestyles) was for Jacqueline Montreal to showcase her talent with people who weren't her friends or family. Jacqueline's only wish was to find someway to make her talent useful because galleries and art exhibitions were at the very top of her anti-bucket list.

As for the Helena Scott mural award, that was an award the Long Shore High art department awarded to a student to immortalize themselves in the school's history. Helena Scott was the town's founder, Emilo Scott's, sister who had a great appreciation for the arts. The school's first principal created the award after her untimely death, as a way to remember her.

Alexandria handed Jacqueline the colorful, sealed box with an enormous smile then gathered her in her arms. "I hope your parents didn't make you decorate your own cake... again!" Jacqueline shook her head with a soft giggle. "Any idea what you're making for your mural?"

"How about the front of your dad's bakery," Malcolm asked. "It's a perfect representation of you: artistic, modest, always smells sweet and..."

Alexandria nodded as she added, "French?"

Jacqueline purred as she cuddled between her two friends. "Actually," the artist began, "I wanted to do our entire class." Alexandria's eyes went wide. "Then for graduation we all add a one-sentence quote. But I wanted to make it with the entire class, you know, like the ones who left, so we don't forget them. For that I was thinking we quote something they always said. Like, remember George Aster? He always used to say 'it's not a party without the tarty'." She waited for them to respond but sighed when they didn't. "Is it that bad an idea?"

Good Graffiti जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें