Nineteen.

Chapter nineteen: Robin Hood

"Right. I've brought you all here today because this is the day that we replace Billy Kimber. This is the day that we become respectable. The day we join the official National Association of Race Course Bookmakers. But first we do the dirty work."

Tommy glanced around the room, looking to each individual member, all but Caroline. "We've all known this day's been coming, I just haven't told anybody the date." He then turned to the blackboard. "We're going to the Worcester races. The track opens at one, we'll get there by two."

"Now, Kimber thinks we're going there to help him to fight the Lee brothers. But thanks to the efforts of our John, and his lovely new wife Esme, the Lees are now our kin. I interrupted those efforts this morning and I can assure you all that John is making great sacrifices for the cause of peace."

Caroline, with her arms folded and her heel tapping impatiently, rolled her eyes at the chorus of immature men who laughed.

"Yeah, all right." John grumbled.

"So it'll be us and the Lees against Kimber's boys. We take them out but leave the bookies. I expect a swift victory which will send a signal all the way to London, that we believe in letting legitimate businesses run peacefully."

John asked the question playing on everyone's mind. "And what about kimber?"

"I'll deal with Kimber." Tommy looked around once more. "Any questions?"

"Yes." Polly spoke up and then began walking towards the door. "Does anybody object if I bring a newcomer to the meeting?"

After muttering for her niece to make an entrance, Polly opened the door wide to reveal her. "I'd like to introduce the newest member of the Shelby clan."

Caroline was the first to clap. With a smile that stretched from her lips, she was pleased to see that Ada was doing well. She looked happy and healthy, but most importantly, she returned the smile with her healthy baby boy in her arms, wrapped up in a thick, yellow blanket to keep him warm. Her applause led to more, and soon, the room was full of joy as though they weren't planning a man's execution.

"Welcome home, Ada."

Ada nodded appreciatively to Tommy. "We named him Karl. After Karl Marx."

"Karl bloody Marx." Arthur spoke snidely with a laugh. "Let me get a look at him."

She couldn't deny that she was jealous of the bond between each family member, especially when they fawned over their new addition. Caroline longed for a gathering of children, but maybe not in the same exact way the Shelbys had been drawn together for their love of criminal activity.

Then again, she wouldn't matter what profession they sought, so long as they had each other's backs regardless of the circumstances and loved each other unconditionally. She hoped that some day, she could create her own power house. Nevertheless, she was ecstatic that Ada came to her senses and found the motherly love to continue striving through life despite the absence of Freddie, but with a family like this, she'd never be fully alone.

***

"Ada, Caroline. Take the baby to the bullring where there's loads of people."

Caroline jumped from her slouched position on the sofa, startled by Tommy's booming, yet fearful tone. "What's going on?"

"We've been fucking betrayed!" He paced back and forth. "Somebody let slip. Kimber's men are on their way here." He shot a glare at Caroline whilst keeping a face space on his toes.