xii。a kid in need of help

CHAPTER TWELVE

YOONGI shared a few words with Jimin's family, informing them about how he was the best they had. They were a little skeptical because he was blind (Yoongi was used to that by now) but they put their trust in him. During the exchange he asked if they knew anything about what might have happened, and Jimin's father told the detective that Jimin was found in an alleyway not too far from the train station. That night Jimin was finally coming home after he finished up all of his exams to visit, but he never showed up and they didn't hear from him until the police showed up to tell them what happened.

Yoongi took note of it and said his goodbyes, walking down the corridor and out the door. Jimin waited for the detective outside, finding it hard to be in the same room as his parents. While waiting the images that flashed through his mind flashed again, still a giant, garbled mess. Yoongi called out to him once outside and the young man went to stand near him.

"How were my parents?" Jimin asked, a little nervousness latched onto his tongue. "Did... Are they okay?"

Yoongi nodded, thinking for a moment. "Yeah, they looked okay. Extremely tired but that's normal. I promise I'll do what I can to help you out."

"Did they tell you anything that could help?"

"Yes, they said you were found in an alleyway not too far from the train station that night. Do you remember the train station?" Jimin explained to Yoongi that he was remembering things, but they were all just broken pieces to a bigger puzzle. Even so, he saw the alleyway in the images, so he could sort of remember why he was there.

"I think I was coming home from something... School?" Jimin made it sound more like a question but Yoongi acknowledged that it was right.

"Said you were finishing up exams. I think we should head there and see if we can trigger those memories of yours." Jimin agreed, although he was a little scared, and followed alongside Yoongi. The walk there was quiet, neither of them saying anything to each other. It wasn't uncomfortable, just nerve wracking. Jimin didn't want whatever friendship they had to dwindle all because he was a weird projection of himself. Those thoughts started to cloud his mind and he got even more nervous, so he spoke up.

"Yoongi?" he said, getting a hum in response. "Um... so how am I able to touch you if this is my astral body?"

Yoongi pauses for a moment before sticking his hand out. Jimin took it in his own, able to feel Yoongi's soft and thin fingers within his own small hands. "I guess it has to do with your mind again. You somehow turned solid, but since it's not your real body still, you don't leave lasting impressions on the people around you. And if someone is passing by—throwback to the guy from the apartment building—they won't notice you." Jimin felt Yoongi's hand slip from his. The loss of contact brought a frown to his face as he looked up at Yoongi. He was looking in his direction but his eyes weren't on him. "Jimin, I really need your help. I need you to remember as much as you can about all of this."

Jimin nodded. "I'm going to try."

With a smile Yoongi turned back around and continued the walk. The were getting closer to the alleyway but then a phone call interrupted. Yoongi yanked out his phone and answered it with a swift movement.

"Yes, Namjoon?" he spoke through the speaker. Namjoon on the other end chuckled.

"I spoke a little with Jimin's family, but I'm assuming you did, too."

Yoongi sighed. "Yep. I'm on my way to the alleyway."

"Yoongi." Namjoon's voice caught Yoongi off guard. The tone of it gave off sounds of worry and it was unlike Namjoon to really care that much. "I know you want to solve this but I need you to put your safety first. You're blind, especially to Jimin, and we don't really know his intentions."

"Intentions?" Yoongi questioned, his brow furrowing. "The only intentions here are getting back to his family and figuring out what happened. I've lived twenty-three years of my life like this, I think I'll be okay."

"Yoongi... I really care about you, you know?"

Yoongi scoffed. "This must be the first time I've heard it from you. Are you trying to get something out of me?"

"Oh, now don't go saying things we'll regret, Min. I opened my heart to you. Treat it kindly." The phone call ended and Yoongi shoved his phone back into his pocket. He felt Jimin shifting beside him and he turned in his general direction.

"No matter what anyone says to you or about you, just know that I've got your back," he told the young man, giving him a smile. "If everyone gives up on you, I won't."

"I don't understand why you're trying so hard for me," Jimin said and Yoongi reached out for his hand again, which Jimin hesitantly gave. This time Yoongi interlocked their fingers.

"You're a kid in need of help, that's all there is to it. I won't give up on you, not when you need someone the most. Your friends never left you, they were all just mourning you. So I want to help you get back to them, back to your family."

Jimin felt tears pricking at his eyes and he squeezed Yoongi's hand in response, to show him he was listening. "Thank you so much. Honestly."

Yoongi gave one last smile before he continued their walk, hand still holding Jimin's.