i。a cold case

CHAPTER ONE

IN the heart of Seoul, a large skyscraper towered above the city in a rather intimidating and amazing way. Inside resided the Public Safety Bureau, the main police force responsible for snuffing out crimes that stretch from Yeoncheon to Gwangyang. The Bureau was made up of multiple divisions that focus mainly on certain crimes to make it easier on the organization.

Division 5 was a division that focused on much harder cases that other divisions aren't able to crack. The division was made up of the Bureau's best officers and detectives, and Min Yoongi was no exception. He was labeled their secret weapon, considering they only used him on occasions. Use... he sounded like a damn machine rather than a living being. He assumed that was how things would be, though, considering they only really cared for his talents.

By not being deployed all the time he had a lot of free time on his hands, most of which consisted of him dozing off at his desk ignoring the paperwork he should have been doing. He was a great detective, earning the rank of Inspector in such a short time, but he'd rather be out on the field than signing papers. That's why he attempted almost seventy percent of the time to either pass off his work to a lower ranking officer or dispose of it altogether. Most people don't feel sorry for him, instead they questioned why anyone would give a blind man paperwork. Then again, it was Min Yoongi they were talking about and all the questions disappear. 

Today was yet another boring day at his boring desk doing boring tasks. The only difference was that Namjoon would be returning any moment from the case he was working on, which meant Yoongi could stick his nose into his business to see what it was about. Sure enough, Namjoon walked through the doors with a big frown on his face, rubbing the back of his neck as he walked to his desk next to Yoongi.

"So?" Yoongi asked, staring at the blurry red mass that was Namjoon. He could see exactly how tired he was and how stressed he was: Tiredness: 45%. Stress Level 68%. "Why you so stressed?"

"How'd you— oh, right. I forgot." The brunette gave a small chuckle. Yoongi could see his stress levels faltering a bit. "This case is such a mystery to me. I know the girl was frozen solid but I have no idea how it happened. It was as if some ice wizard came by and froze her."

Yoongi scooted closer to him and stared at the rectangular blob (which he assumed was a manilla folder) on his desk. He could see just how many people had touched the folder. Thirty-seven fingerprints, the latest being Namjoon. "Let me see." Yoongi reached for the folder containing the case files but Namjoon snatched it away.

"Oh, no. You're not authorized to look at this."

Yoongi frowned. "I'm just as qualified, if not more qualified than you. You even said you were stumped."

"If I let you look at this you'll get it right away." Yoongi raised a questioning eyebrow.

"Yeah, and?"

A smile grew on Namjoon's lips, Yoongi could see the smirk growing. "It'd seriously hurt my pride if I let you look at it." A pause followed in suit before Yoongi grabbed the folder from the other's grasp. "Hey!" When he opened it, a series of numbers flooded through, nearly overwhelming him as he sat there, taking in everything before quickly shutting the folder. He was silent for a moment, a hand grasping his chin in thought. Namjoon tilted his head in concern. "Stumped, too?"

"No. How do I put this?" Yoongi thought a bit more before his foggy eyes met with Namjoon's crystal clear ones. He raised a finger and pointed at the other detective. "You're just an idiot."

"Say what?!"

Yoongi crossed his arms. "I knew exactly what happened the minute I opened the folder. Clearly you missed a bunch of details that were right there in front of you."

"As if!" Namjoon shouted. "You're just a freaky weirdo!"

"The girl was indeed frozen, but it wasn't from an ice wizard or whatever you said earlier. She was thrown into the freezer unit of the deli just down the street in the early morning. She didn't die, though, until it reached the mid-afternoon. The butcher there was a stalker of hers who, when she turned down his love confession, went all bonkers and shoved her in there. He was going to chop her up but he heard people coming so he locked her inside. Once the coast was clear he dumped her in the lake where you first found the body." Namjoon sat there in both awe and dumbfoundedness from the words that left Yoongi's mouth. He knew Yoongi always seemed to come up with some weird stories about the cases, but even if he did they always turned out to be true. It was quite scary the power Yoongi possessed. Namjoon couldn't even understand it himself. "Your killer is the butcher, so I suggest you go arrest him before he gets off the hook."

Without a second to spare Namjoon jumped from his seat and took officers with him and he left, leaving Yoongi at his desk like before. This always happens, Yoongi thought. He comes by with an unsolved case and I solve it in three minutes. Must be handy to have me on their side. With a sigh leaving his lips, he got up from his desk and slung his briefcase over his shoulder, deciding his work for the day was over.