143 - Returning Home - Part 4

Start from the beginning

Magdalin.

"I helped you escape from your brother! If I didn't he would've found you! That other man was a Headal spy trying to kidnap you!"

He rushed and sputtered out his words while his face grew paler by the second. Magdalin who had been swept up in fear of him and the desire to watch him die for his actions, had her eyes fill with doubts, confusion and regret at the words he spluttered. A single seed of doubt was planted in her mind that was already in an uproar.

"Felix, get on with it," I ordered him with less irritation than I expected. Perhaps because I had been prepared for this when Magdalin said she wanted to stay. Of course, Felix did a visible double check at my words, but so did everyone else.

If I killed him just like this I would seem the villain despite his murder of the innocent merchants. This was especially clear with Darius. The one who wanted the job this man claimed to have done. He would identify with this cowardly spy, so perhaps this would be a good time for a final lesson for Darius. Surprisingly Felix turns his attention back to the prisoner, ready to finish the job.

"Words that cannot be proved will not bring you safety. By the witness of the honorable Miss Ruche you've murdered three adults and two young and innocent children and attempting to cover your crime by forcing the earth magician to hide it. Furthermore you have trespassed on private property as young entered the mausoleum of nobility. Your punishment has been decided."

That's right. That mausoleum could not have been raised by anyone but nobility. It's but one of multiple infractions, but as a peasant he has little defense against these things.

"I work for House Salender! If you ask them they'll tell you!" the prisoner blurts out and quickly looks back to Magdalin.

"I was asked to protect you because people would aim for you because of the suspicions towards house Celeste since you're close with Lady Lily!" he pleads with Magdalin. Magdalin simply stares while clenching her folded hands. Now where he's awake and helpless he likely looks much more weak and fragile than he did in her mind.

"For a peasant to throw such accusations at House Salender is unseemly. Who would believe a murderer works for a noble house?" I replied to his pleads and then look back to Felix. Felix is quite perceptive so he may have noticed what is going on. Having been a part of the black market he knows how the law works after all.

As for the prisoner, this appears to come as a horrifying reality. Yet, he doesn't look shocked. He begins to squirm away again, begging and pleading for his life while glancing back at me.

Felix looks me in the eyes, but he doesn't say anything more. He steps closer to the prisoner again and this time finishes off the job. A final wail of fear precedes the silence and putrid smell of death that spreads in the meadow as the prisoner grasps his throat desperately, squirming and twisting. A final stab to the chest makes him stiffen, and with that it's over. Felix takes out a handkerchief and wipes the blood off of his spear without a word as the blood from the prisoner spills into the greedy autumn ground.

Meanwhile Magdalin turns away while covering her mouth as her stomach turns. Pallid and sickened she curls over and vomits into the grass.

Darius stares at the prisoner as pallid as Magdalin, but with a stare stiff and glossy. The man before him shows well the end of the path he wanted to walk. I walk up to Darius first for one last word for him. I spoke my words to him quietly and only for him to hear.