Chapter Five: When Life Gives You Lemons

Blood. Everywhere I looked, the crimson fluid dripped down the walls and pooled on the polished floor. The smell assaulted my nostrils, so strong and sharp it made me gag.

"Please," a woman sobbed, looking up at me in despair, clutching her dead husband. Her face was spattered with his blood. Mascara ran with the tears down her plump cheeks. Her elegant bun had fallen into a wild mess, from being shoved and tripped during the panic only moments before.

"Please, help me."

I wanted to help. I wanted to lie and say that she'd be okay, but I had no stomach for such empty promises.

A cold hand grabbed my shoulder, making me jump. I looked up into blood red eyes.

"Go on," Aro said, flashing a devilish smile. "Take her."

I looked to the woman, who still clutched her husband's lifeless body, sobbing and rocking back and forth. Her eyes met mine, pleading for help, for mercy.

"No..." I whispered.

Most of the other vampires had finished feeding. There were whimpers and sobs from dying humans, while a vampire played an ominously upbeat symphony on the grand piano in the corner. While the bodies were being dragged unceremoniously into the center of the room and set ablaze, I wanted to scream. Moments before, they had all been so lively and exuberant; there was nothing I could've done to stop the massacre.

The ancient vampire, Aro, tilted his head at me. "What ever is the matter? Are you not hungry, child?"

Everything was wrong. It was so horribly wrong. These vampires were proud of their killing; they took pleasure in it. All those people were invited to the party, thinking they would be treated to a spectacular feast on behalf of their gracious hosts. They were unaware they were lambs to the slaughter, until the doors were sealed and the vampires attacked. By then, there was no hope.

My lips curled into a grimace and I glared at Aro, ready to tell him exactly what I was thinking. But another hand rested on my back. Mason, my older brother, moved to my side.

"She doesn't need blood," he said, coming to my rescue. When I looked up at him, his lips were smeared red. Quickly, he wiped them on his sleeve, but it was too late for that. I saw what he had done to that poor woman's husband...

Aro raised his eyebrows, intrigued.

"Ah, fascinating," he said, fixing his eyes on me; they were vacant of compassion, regarding me in a similar way one would examine a lab rat. "How exciting, I am able to witness your first kill."

My jaw tightened and I clenched my fists. I knew he saw the disgust on my face, because he narrowed his eyes slightly. Brazenly meeting his stare, I declared, "I won't kill her."

The other vampires had gathered nearby, watching us. They all heard my words, scoffing or exchanging glances, mocking me. A few never looked away from their leader, eager to see his reaction to my refusal.

"I see," he said with a dangerously polite smile. "I understand you and your brother have spent quite some time wandering, living among the humans. It's only natural to feel..." he paused to glance toward the weeping woman-who had the fortune to survive the initial bloodbath-"sympathetic, toward them."

"Let her go," I said before I could bite my tongue.

The other vampires gasped, laughed, and sneered. Their leader simply cocked his head to the side, glancing toward the quivering woman. Almost rueful, he said, "I'm afraid that's not possible. She has witnessed too much. We have rules, which are upheld strictly, in order to protect our existence. There are no exceptions."