Chapter Six: All Actions Have Consequences

"Either you were taking a tour of Volterra, or you were trying to run away," Jane reasoned in that chilling monotone of hers, "I suspect the latter."

Another wave of pain assaulted me, that time in the sensation of knives carving macabre designs over every inch of my skin. The witch had a sick imagination. When she had thoroughly enjoyed herself and proved how powerful she was, she allowed me relief. Glaring at her, I still couldn't speak, as Felix had yet to remove his hand from my mouth. 

"What use are you, really?" Jane mused, tilting her head while seeming unimpressed with my lack of substance. "The Volturi have no interest in you. No powers, no respect for our ways...more trouble than you're worth. Aro wouldn't be particularly at a loss if you were gone."

"Jane, we were told by Aro that she wasn't to be harmed," Felix spoke in protest, attempting to remind her of her place. 

Her piercing red glare fell on him and his hulking form quivered, involuntarily clutching me tighter to the point where I couldn't breathe. I feared he would cause my rib-cage to cave in, and there was nothing I could do to squirm free. Then Jane released him from her influence and he heaved a breath, composed himself, and hesitated to press the matter.

"She escaped, Felix. We were unable to capture her."

To suggest such a thing, she must've been quite full of herself. Not many had the nerve to question Aro, let alone undermine his command.

"You forget that Aro might not believe us. He will be able to see the truth in our memories," he spoke against her once more, refusing to allow her to bully him into defying their leader. The penalty for that was another stab of pain, which he endured without making a sound; he did release his hold on me, falling to his knees as the merciless witch conjured up torture that one would experience in hell. When she finished teaching him who had authority over the situation, she turned her attention back to me.

After being dropped by Felix, I fell to my hands and knees. He slumped against the wall of the alley in submission, avoiding my eyes as if ashamed of himself. A cold feeling had solidified like a block of ice in my stomach; the realization that I was about to be killed in the most agonizing way the witch could devise. 

Jane looked down at me with a malicious glint in her eyes. 

"Your brother will be better off," she sneered in a cold manner; the last words she intended to say to me, before ending my existence.

This time, she reached her small hands down to snatch hold of my throat. Her dainty fingers dug sharply into my skin and her thumbs pressed hard against my windpipe. Choking as I struggled to breathe, inhaling was impossible and panic quickly took over, forbidding all thoughts that wouldn't help me survive. My hands reached for her face instinctively, but she had tougher skin which my nails were unable to slash. 

Being the weaker one, never having fed on human or animal blood, I had no chance of defeating her. 

The sound of two rock solid bodies colliding registered in my mind, as the small hands were forced to release my throat. I fell to the ground, coughing and dry heaving, while two vampires rolled away from me. When my brain recovered enough oxygen to fully process what was happening, I recognized Felix as he pinned a stunned Jane to the ground. One of his hands were wrapped around her slender neck, while he moved the other toward her face. Furious that he had intervened, she fixed him with glare that rivaled hell fire. 

Clenching his teeth as she influenced his mind to feel intense pain, he wrestled to place his hand over her eyes. She grabbed his wrist, fighting to fend off the hand that would render her power useless. Greatly surpassing her in physical strength, he succeeded in blinding her and breaking the illusion.