Phoenix Rising: Chapter 1

Magsimula sa umpisa

If Meda was the picture of the keen-eyed huntress, Asa was the embodiment of 'strong and silent'. A woman of few words and even fewer facial expressions, 'fazed' was not a term Asa was familiar with. With an uncanny ability to be watchful, nothing escaped Asa. And is that not terrifying in itself? How does one conquer an opponent that cannot be surprised? An opponent who predicts one's next move before one formulates it. An opponent whose rigid demeanour betrays nary a thought, no matter how hard one tries. Historically, such an opponent had not been conquered.

Seph took a steadying breath before she began to speak, but the fury remained only an inch from the surface. "They won't kill us Meda. The won't even lay a hand on us. I'll make sure of it. We'll make sure of it. What they've done to us is unforgivable, and I'll be damned if they think they're getting away with it. Do you know what our advantage is Meda? They still think we're still hurting. But we're capable now of more than they know, and I'm certain my sheer will to see them turn to ashes will bring me back from the dead should they get that far."

Meda remained silent. Her gazed flicked rapidly from Seph to Asa.

Seph.

Asa.

Seph.

Asa.

Suspicion feathered on the edges of her mind. For all her hotheadedness, Seph wasn't stupid. She knew the danger they were facing. And yet, up until now, she hadn't expressed the slightest anger or concern. Asa had looked up from her book all of three times. They could not be so calm. Unless...they had good reason to be. She sighed. She'd known she'd been missing something.

"You have a plan in mind then. What is it?"

Seph and asa shared a speaking glance. Something passed between. An understanding. An agreement. Meda did not like it, and she had a feeling she would not like what they had to say either.

"It's not so much of a what as it is a who," Seph ventured.

Meda's skin prickled.

"Spit it out."

"Nothing is set in stone." Seph's mouth kicked up on one side, as though they were sharing a private joke. In a way they were, but Meda would not be distracted today.

"Spit. It. Out."

"You won't like it."

"I expected as much."

A mischievous smile suddenly lit up Seph's face. Asa's eyes were twinkling too, though her face remained impassive. This oddly reassured Meda. Whatever – or whomever – it was, it would be safe; otherwise, Seph and Asa would find no amusement in it. Inconvenience, however, was guaranteed, and that did not sit well with her.

It had always been this way. The three were not related by blood, but circumstances had rendered their bond stronger than any familial tie could hope to be. 'The blood of the covenant is thicker than the water of the womb', isn't that what they said? Regardless, their bond meant no boundary had remained uncrossed between them. Unfortunately for Meda, this often meant Seph and Asa teamed up to harass her. 'Nervous Nellie' they called her. Was it so wrong to always want a plan? It gave her far more comfort than jumping feet first ever could. Admittedly, she had worried over nothing multiple times in the past, but 'better safe than sorry' are words she lived by. At the end of the day, Meda knew no one would have her back as Seph and Asa would, so she let many a joke at her expense slide. However, nothing – quite literally nothing – could have prepared her for their latest onslaught.

"Stoechas."

It was as though something had detonated. A ringing noise invaded her ears and a pit dropped in her stomach.