x。a turn of events

CHAPTER TEN

JIMIN found himself wandering down the street with no particular thought in mind. He walked, and others walked by him, but he never bumped a shoulder despite feeling like he was walking all over the place. People looked in his direction occasionally but they never looked at him. Eye contact didn't seem to exist. He wanted to get some street food, but even the workers didn't acknowledge him. Was he invisible or something? He wasn't understanding what was happening, and why everything seemed so weird to him.

That's where he found himself sitting on a park bench by himself, people passing by without even noticing his presence, talking amongst themselves with happy grins to their faces. It began to upset Jimin. His friends never called, his family never visited... It truly felt like he was completely alone. The only person who spoke and hung out with him was Yoongi, but even then Jimin couldn't help but feel like the only reason was to get information out of him. Did Yoongi actually like having him around? Jimin couldn't tell, everything became blurry to him. The more he thought about it all, the more his head began to hurt.

What did this all mean? The sickness that grew in his stomach caused him to have almost a hot flash and within those few seconds, a wave of images flashed through his mind.

A dark alley, a man hovering, blood, pain, blurry vision, pain...

Jimin reached for his head that began to pound after the images left, and he groaned out in agony. Those images... it felt like he had seen them before. He couldn't quite put a finger to what it was but he knew there was something going on. He was missing something but his brain was blocking out what it was. If he wanted to get to the bottom of it, he was going to have to find out what was blocking his brain from remembering.

— ☼ —

Yoongi didn't know what to do. This case wasn't making any sense and neither was Jimin, so the detective found himself at a standstill. The more he looked into this case, the more suspicious Jimin became but he didn't want to do that to the college student. He wasn't exactly sure, but he just knew that he didn't get any malice vibes from the boy. He seemed genuine despite a nervous tone to his voice that came off as weird. The detective sighed as he turned the corner, running into one of his colleagues. It was Jungkook.

"Oh, Yoongi, just the man I wanted to see," he spoke, causing Yoongi to roll his eyes. "I wanted to discuss this case with you."

"The one about Jimin?" He heard a hum in response and felt himself get pulled into a different area. He assumed it was a conference room based on the clicking of the door shutting. "What's the deal?"

"It just feels off, don't you think?" Jungkook began, and Yoongi made an expression that issued him to continue. "I mean, based solely on the fact that we can't find anything else out, especially you, is worrisome on its own, let alone what you said he's told you. Don't you find it... a bit phony?"

"Phony?" Yoongi questioned, not understanding how Jungkook could even say something like that. With a chuckle, the detective folded his arms across his chest with a raised brow. "There's nothing phony about this. This is something real and I won't stop until I figure it out. What are your true intentions here, Jeon?"

A sigh escaped the younger's lips as Yoongi realized he'd got him right where he wanted him. With another sigh that sounded more charged than the first, Jungkook made his confession. "Okay, you caught me. I don't like how close this kid gets to you. And you know my hunches are always right!"

"Oh yeah? Then tell me what your hunches are feeling like right now."

"A turn of events is upon us, but I can't tell you how the results will be like."

Just then, two more bodies came hustling into the room, and Yoongi figured out by the statistics that popped into his mind that they were none other than Taehyung and Namjoon. They all shared looks between each other before the eldest began to speak.

"I came here with news and ran into Namjoon who also had news," Taehyung said, deciding to go first. "I figured out why Yoongi can't see Jimin."

"What?" Yoongi uncrossed his arms, shock overwhelming his entire body.

"As did I," Namjoon spoke. Yoongi was silent for a moment, not entirely sure how he was supposed to feel in this moment. Was he supposed to be relieved? If so, why was he so afraid of the words that would come from their mouths? An uneasiness overcame his being, Jungkook's hunch becoming something he would have to agree with finally.

Namjoon spoke up again once the silence became too much for him, and he struggled to say what exactly he was going to say, but he managed to spit out, "It also has a direct link to that stalker case and Jimin's case. In fact... they're the same case, it seems."

Just as the pair were going to tell Yoongi what they found out, Yoongi's phone began to ring. It read out the caller ID to him; Park Jimin. He answered it immediately, turning away from the group in front of him.

"Jimin?" His voice was quiet and shaky, the uneasiness rising in his stomach. He didn't like the silence from the other end. It felt like it was eating at him. "Jimin, what's wrong?"

That's when Jimin's voice came out as a barely audible whisper, confirming what everyone was about to say:

"I've been thinking about what's wrong... and why it seems like I'm not seen by anyone. And the reason for that is exactly that. No one can see me. I'm not real to them, or anyone."