Chapter Six

WHO I REALLY AM

(A How To Train Your Dragon Fanfiction)

By: Astrid Camicazi N. Hofferson

Summary: Astrid Hofferson, shieldmaiden of Berk and second-in-command of the dragon riders, swears to tell everything to her betrothed, Hiccup Haddock, even secrets. She tells him everything, except for one. Will Hiccup still accept her after finding out the truth? (This story is set in the "Race to the Edge" timeline)

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON.

A/N: English isn't my first language so please bear with me. Constructive criticisms are pretty much appreciated.

- HTTYD-

VI

COLD

DAYS HAVE TURNED into weeks. Weeks have turned into months. A month. It has been a month since Hiccup turned into Astrid.

Since then, they have not talked to one another, unless it's really necessary or an emergency that urgently needs to be taken care of.

The other Riders didn't really notice what was happening between the other two and were only doing their normal routine. For instance, Hiccup hadn't recently shown up, so they might just have been thinking that he was just modifying a new invention of his, as well as plotting a plan against the Dragon Hunters, which is a regular thing for them to encounter. Astrid, on the other hand, is still sad. She and her boyfriend are currently not on good terms. She understood why and also respected that he needed time and space to think. Also, she knew that it was her fault in the first place. Even though she is feeling weak right now, she has managed to conceal her feelings from the others, for Vikings should be stronger than to bother with their mere feelings, so that the others wouldn't know what is happening or think that she's weak.

Despite the fact that she is a Viking, she isn't numb. She loves Hiccup, and she couldn't take us anymore. She is ready to tell the truth to him even at all costs, for she trusts him and knows that he also does. So, she decided to go to his hut to confess everything about her past and to fix the matter between them.

.oOo

Hiccup is currently in his hut, plotting a move against the Dragon Hunters and their leader, Viggo Grimborn. It is a plan of infiltration to know what the enemy has in store for them in the very near future. But his mind cannot focus on what he's doing. For the reason that his mind is drifting somewhere else. He is deeply thinking about his girlfriend and second-in-command, Astrid, and what happened between them during the past month.

Toothless can sense that his rider is in distress, so he croons and nuzzles him.

"Thank you for comforting me, bud."

Hiccup scratches the dragon's chin and talks to him.

"I was just thinking about Astrid. Have I been so hard on her? I mean, I respect her decision not to tell me about her secret, but I am just upset because I felt that she did not fully trust me."

The loyal dragon, Night Fury, just listened as his rider continued talking.

"Do you think that I should've lowered my stupid pride and apologized to her?"

Toothless nodded and licked his rider. And now Hiccup is covered in dragon slobber.

"Ahh...Toothless! You know that doesn't wash off! But you are right, Toothless. I should really go to her right now."

He wiped himself and went to his door to see Astrid standing by. Surprised, he said:

"Astrid! What are you doing here?" He said, smiling and wide-eyed in surprise.

"I just wanted to talk to you. I hope you won't shoo me away. I am ready to tell you my secret," she said. His words affected her so much.

Hiccup, what did you do?

Hiccup just held her hand and told her...

"No, I won't. And it's okay. I understand if you are forced to tell me. It's my fault anyway. I shouldn't have done it to you. And for that, I wanted to apologize. I know I was wrong, out of the line, if you will, and I have let my pride eat me up. So, sorry," he said in an apologetic tone.

"It's okay, Hiccup. If I were in your position, I would feel the same. And you were right; if I really trusted you, I'd tell you everything. So, here I come."

"Are you sure about that, Milady?" Hiccup asked her.

"Very," she stated simply.

"Well, guess what? It looks like I have nothing to do about it," he chuckled.

So, that's it. They came inside Hiccup's hut, and Astrid told him everything that he needed to know, especially now that they have fixed matters between them.

-HTTYD-

Originally Published: May 1, 2019

Updated: February 20, 2024