Chapter Four

WHO I REALLY AM

(A How To Train Your Dragon Fanfiction)

By: Astrid Camicazi N. Hofferson

Summary: Astrid Hofferson, shieldmaiden of Berk and second-in-command of the dragon riders, swears to tell everything to her betrothed, Hiccup Haddock, even secrets. She tells him everything, except for one. Will Hiccup still accept her after finding out the truth? (This story is set in the "Race to the Edge" timeline)

DISCLAIMER: I DO NOT OWN HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON.

A/N: English isn't my first language so please bear with me. Constructive criticisms are pretty much appreciated.

- HTTYD-

IV

SHATTERED TRUST

"OF COURSE, YES! I missed you, Hiccup. Thing is, I didn't expect you to be here because I thought you were at Dragon's Edge," she answered.

Hiccup came closer and decided to sit beside her. Then he faced her, looked into her eyes, and said with a questioning tone, his brows knitted a little bit.

"You haven't really answered my question yet. What are you doing here on Bog-Burglar Island, and why did you leave without letting us know where you were going?"

"Nothing," Astrid said, raising Hiccup's eyebrows in curiosity and doubt.

"Are you sure?" Hiccup said sternly, his voice deep and low.

Astrid sighed and laughed nervously.

"Fine, you got me there. I just went back to Berk earlier to visit, um, my family. And after that, I decided to wander this place," she lied. "As you can see, this island of the Bog-Burglars is a place full of nature's wonders. It's worth exploring, don't you think?" She tried to divert the topic.

"Of course it is," Hiccup deadpanned. "So, if you've visited your parents on Berk, then why haven't they seen you or known you were coming? Astrid, I went earlier to your house on Berk. I personally talked to your father. I know you're lying to me, for I know you more than all others." Astrid gulped at hearing the statement. "I trust you to tell me everything. Even secrets. So if it is what I thought, you can tell me about it. You know that you can trust me."

"Yes, you are right. It's a secret. Very personal and a family secret. I'm sorry, Hiccup, but I couldn't tell you," Astrid said with a soft voice, looking at the ground, avoiding his gaze.

Hiccup held Astrid's hands and looked at her with a soft smile.

"Astrid, look at me. We are family, and you can trust me with everything. Tell me, and I won't tell what you said to me to others. I promise," he tried to persuade her. "Or if you're not yet ready, I am willing to wait until you are ready to tell me."

"No," she replied with finality. The smile on his face turned into a frown, and then, seconds later, his face became emotionless, trying to hide his real feelings of pain. Pain because of this secret. He felt betrayed. He loved Astrid so much and trusted her. But why couldn't she trust him?

"Why? You don't fully trust me, Astrid, do you?" he asked her.

"Positive. I trust you with everything, with all my heart," she told him.

"Then why can't you tell me about it? I am your boyfriend, partner, leader, and confidante. For Thor's sake!" Hiccup exclaimed.

Astrid opened her mouth halfway, ready to answer Hiccup's question. But then she shut it.

"Then no! You. Do. Not. Trust. Me. You do not trust me," he said with a bit of hurt in his voice. There was a crack in his mask, but he would not let her see it, not now after the current events. Instead, he stood up and whistled for Toothless to come over. Hiccup ran, and Astrid immediately followed him.

"Hiccup, wait! Where are you going?"

"Anywhere, away from here. You might guess. But it is nothing of your business," Hiccup said coldly to Astrid. He started to mount Toothless. But then he immediately saw terror flying his way. It was Iggy, Fishlegs' terror, carrying some message written on a roll of paper.

He got the rolled paper from the dragon's neck. He patted the dragon and mumbled, "Thank you, Iggy. Good boy."

He unrolled the paper and read the message, which made his eyes widen slowly. Astrid asked him, despite what happened.

"What does it say, Hiccup?"

"Mount up, Astrid. We're going back to the Edge."

"Why?"

"The Edge is under attack by the Hunters."

-HTTYD-

Originally Published: April 22, 2019

Updated: February 20, 2024