Prologue

Avery made her way down the all too familiar streets of the small town in Georgia. She took a heavy deep breath before she took steps closer to her best friends house. She was nervous to say goodbye, but excited to be getting out of the shit town she called home.

When she was close enough to the Dixon's residence she could hear Merle's hard laugh coming from the back deck. She knew exactly what they were doing.

Once she was near them and they were aware of her presence. She could see Merle's smile from where she was. "Avery!" He cheered stumbling out of his chair.

She had gotten closer with the Dixon brothers once their dad passed away. She was always hanging around the two boys despite what everyone told her, she simply didn't care what others thought.

"I was wonderin when the next time I'd see yer face would be" he slurred. Avery gave him a light smile before making her way up the steps. She plopped down in her normal seat where she sat staring at the two boys.

"I actually came to say goodbye" She said sadly. Turning her gaze to the ground. She looked back up once she heard a chair scrape back and Daryl was stood above her. "What ye mean ye came to say goodbye, like hell were lettin ya go anywhere!" He yelled, venom falling from his lips.

She took a deep breath and met his eyes, "I enlisted into the Marines today" she said softly. "Ye what?" Daryl asked taking a step back almost as if she had punched him in the gut. She couldn't bring herself to look up at the boy in front of her.

"I joined the Military" she said softer this time, scared of what Daryl might do out of anger.