9. Catch me if you can

*I'm making this story up as we speak. Each day I try to write a new chapter, not sure if I'll be going to manage that all the way to the end (work, kids, loads of obligations), but I will surely try. So, I don't know what will happen after this chapter. It surprises me too. I must admit that is the fun part of being a writer: creating stories on the spot and getting surprised by my own characters.*

''If you're being hit by an opponent higher in rank than you are, you'll come back to the main building and wait there until the game is over. There'll be some refreshments and treats, and you can get your phone back.'' 

I'd hated it that they took my phone. 

''You do not, and I mean, DO NOT go back to your cabin.'' Juice pointed a finger at us. ''We want to make a headcount at the end to make sure no one is left behind in these woods.''

Nance nodded to Juice in agreement, then to the group in front of them.  ''The area were we'll play human stratego is marked by red flags. You're not allowed to pass these boundaries,'' she added sternly. ''Lumberjacks are in the forest too, we do not want you get hurt by falling trees.''

I looked at Julie who gave me a friendly smile. Sighing through my nose I concluded I was totally not up for this, but I had no choice, it was on the program so we had to do this. Still groaning from the lack of sleep I started walking when the others in front of me came in motion.

Sunlight was trying to filter through the trees, promising another hot day. I scratched my arm. Last night, back in the cabin after the encounter with Juice, I got back to bed, but a mosquito had kept me awake almost until dawn. Finally, I'd fell to sleep, waking up nearly an hour later with three large bumps on my upper arm, itching like hell.

''He said goodmorning to me, did you hear that?'' 

Appearantly Bree had more then enough sleep last night. Her eyes shining the bright carribean-blue as always, her hair smelling like roses from the fresh shower this morning, it was still damp, and her skin glowing covered with sunkissed freckles. At breakfast I'd noticed I could not see or hear anymore of Juice. Since our encounter last night I definitely knew Bree was way too good for him.

''What about that other guy, what's his name?'' I knodded to the red haired guy walking next to Juice. At least they'd had already one thing in common. My brains refused to cooperate, releasing his name. I sighed deeply.

''Are you okay?'' Bree squeezed her eyelids.

''Not much sleep.'' I pointed at the three craters on my arm.

''I don't want Sam.''

I gave her a sly smile. Sam. That was the name of the red haired guy.

''Juice is maybe not your type, but he certainly is mine.'' Bree snarked, ending the discussion.

After a half hour walk we stopped at one of the red flags stuck on the trunk of a tree.

''Julie will hand out the coloured straps and the cards. At the back the ranking is stated, in case you've forgotten. Do not show each other your card. After you've received the card, go into the woods as quickly as you can as far away from each other as possible.''

In the far distance the sound of a chainsaw accompanied his words. A few birds flapped their wings and flew away from the crest above our heads.

''And remember, DO NOT pass the red flags.''

Julie gave me a card. Bomb. Great. Bombs were not supposed to move once they've found a spot. How boring.

''You're good?'' Bree raised an eyebrow.

''Sure. You?''

''Great!' The smile almost split her face in half. She was probably much higher in rank than I was, probably a general or marshall looking at the grin on her face.

We said goodbye with a high five and I walked as far away as fast as I could. I had to find a good spot, or... maybe I shouldn't. The idea of scrolling at my phone for a few hours with a nice cold coke in my hand and some candy at the side would be so much better than sitting in a bush between all the little, scary creatures that lived and crawled here. 

Yeah, I was going to make sure I was found within minutes.