Mutation

It's been two days since dad has told me we'd talk about it. It has yet to happen, and with the school year approaching in just a few short days, I was beginning to wonder if that conversation would happen at all. Yet, I didn't dare bring it up again, I'd already created a large enough fuss to last me a lifetime.

Turns out, I'd taken quite a long nap after Yukio broke the Kurikara. I'd been comatose from that night, throughout the next day, until I'd woken up the next morning. During that time, everyone in the monestary was working double time to fix the damage caused by the blow out of that night. The delinquent teen that had been assaulting me, although through the possession of a demon, was sent home under the pretense of starting fights in the cemetery. No one questioned it seeing as how he was a known trouble maker, and everyone here at home knew he wouldn't have any recollection of that night's events, anyway.

However, it was midweek, and with such a short time frame before school began, Yukio was heading back to the academy to finish unpacking. So I found myself standing outside by the front door, anxiously waiting for him to appear with his coat. It was only a few minutes before I saw his lengthy form appear through the doorway. He'd traded out his crutch for an ankle brace, not wanting to cause a fuss at school. He seemed surprised to see me and he paused his trek.

"Nii-san, what are you doing out here?"

I had the urge to roll my eyes at him, "isn't it obvious, I'm bidding you farewell... again."

He gave me an incredulous look, "you did that on Monday, why again? It's no different from before." He shifted his jacket slightly and turned to face me better, no doubt understanding that I had more than just goodbyes in mind.

Nevertheless, I kept face, "I mean, you did save my life, I can take time to wish my younger brother a safe trip." While I was genuine with my statement, it wasn't my whole intention, and I sighed. "Also, you're the only other person who knows dad best." He stared at me expectantly and I found myself growing shy under his pressing gaze. "Uh, do you think that, um, that dad will allow me to go to True Cross?" I cast my eyes away from his, looking down toward his shoes. You couldn't even tell he was hurt. The brace fit snugly inside of his shoe, and the only way you knew he was injured was the slight limp he had after standing. in these past couple of days, I'd watch as he'd struggled to his feet, feeling guilt wash over me. He'd caught me staring once, and ever since, he's been standing up smoother. He had to be covering it up, for my sake or not. Either way, the guilt was still there.

"No," he said coldly, and I winced, forgetting he was supposed to answer. His reply sunk in after a moment and I once again looked up at him. His teal eyes were hardened, almost like stone, and I was shaken by it. He was always warm and understanding, why was he so callous now? Especially after such a simple question, I felt my resolve falter. "Nii-san, has it even occurred to you how hard it would be to do so? Not counting today, there's only two days until the beginning of the school year. And never mind that, how do you expect our father to pay for it?" I flinched as his tone turned sour, "I worked night and day to earn my scholarship. How do you expect to get in?"

I stood in silence, realizing just how unrealistic I was being. Shameful, I quietly said my farewell to Yukio before turning to open the front door. He caught my sleeve, however, and I heard him take a deep breath. "It's not just that, Rin." He was no longer addressing me as a brother, and I turned slightly to cast a glance over my shoulder. He was looking me up and down, making an expression I couldn't name. "Even if the situation was perfect, I'd still be firm on my answer." That piqued my interest and I took a step back, asking him to elaborate. He closed his eyes, sighing, "you are oblivious." Opening his eyes, he set his gaze firmly on me. "If you were to have asked to become an Exorcist before I'd broken the Kurikara, the answer would most likely have been 'yes.' However," he frowned, shifting his jacket to his other arm. With his freed hand, he reached for me, picking up a lock of my hair and twisting it around his fingers. "You're different now, Rin. In good ways and.... not so pleasant ways."