Life And Death

When Roman awoke in the morning, he saw Virgil laying beside him, asleep. Roman was confused but smiled at how peaceful he looked. He carefully got up so as not to wake the young vampire, and got ready for the day ahead. Roman was on the window seat in his room, looking at the outside world, when Virgil woke up.

"Ro..." Virgil mumbled, still half asleep.

He sat up and rubbed his eyes.

"Can I ask you something?" Roman asked, walking over and sitting down next to Virgil.

He nodded and ran his fingers through his hair.

"You said that you didn't sleep, how come last night you did?"

"I said I didn't, but the truth is, I couldn't. Vampires have never been able to sleep."

"Then ho-"

Roman was cut off by Virgil speaking again.

"-I don't know how I slept last night."

Virgil looked down at his hands, which were resting in his lap. He had a worried look on his face, which Roman noticed.

"Virge, we have to figure this out. Wh-what if you're not well?"

The young vampire smiled and blushed at the fact that Roman was worried about him, but he shook his head.

"Don't bother, I'll be fine."

Roman frowned.

"But what if you're not? I can't lose you..."

He placed his hand on the young Prince's cheek.

"You won't, I promise."

Roman nodded and nuzzled Virgil's hand. He found himself glancing down at Virgil's lips and slowly leaned in. Their faces were extremely close and each of them could feel the other's breath on their lips. The bedroom door opened and they both jumped back, a dark blush spreading across their cheeks.

"Good morning, boys. Are you both okay?" Roman's mother asked them.

"Ye-"

"-Virgil's not!" Roman cut in.

Virgil looked at him and shook his head.

"She needs to know, she might be able to help." he whispered.

"Virgil?"

"It's nothing. It's just, I slept last night, which should be physically impossible for me, being what I am."

Worry flooded the face of Roman's mother. Virgil didn't see her expression, as he was looking down at the floor, but Roman saw it and frowned.

"Mother, what is it?" he asked, making Virgil look up slightly.

"What's wrong, mother?" he repeated after getting no response.

Virgil knew what was wrong with him, but hadn't wanted to worry anybody, especially Roman.

"It's not good, Roman..." she mumbled regretfully.