Beaten Black And Blue

Roman stayed put as Virgil had told him to, and only left the corner when he heard the voice he'd been waiting for.

"I-I'm coming up!"

Roman quickly became worried when he heard how shaky Virgil's voice was.

Once Virgil was up and inside the treehouse, he was bombarded with questions. 

"What took you so long? Are you okay? Did something happen?" Roman questioned, so fast that it was barely audible.

The questions overwhelmed Virgil and he began to cry, just as he had done previously. He hugged his knees and buried his head into them.

"Virge, what happened?"

He shook his head and his cries became louder. 

Roman didn't know how to comfort him, but he knew that he had to do something. He moved so that he was sitting closer to Virgil, and pulled the crying vampire into a hug. He ran his fingers through Virgil's dark purple hair. 

Virgil slowly calmed down and his breathing evened out. 

"Talk to me... What happened?" Roman asked again, genuine concern lacing his voice. 

Virgil looked up to him.

"M-my father found m-me when I was hunting... he said he was going to hurt you."

"Is that why you're upset?"

"No, it's because of what happened next... he told me that he wouldn't stop hunting you as long as he was a-alive, so I k-killed him."

He looked away from Roman, ashamed of what he'd done.

"You did that for me?"

Virgil nodded.

"I don't know what came over me, I was so angry. Maybe you should go back home... you're not safe around me, I could hurt you." 

Roman shook his head and made Virgil look at him.

"I'm not going back. I trust you, Virge. You won't hurt me." 

Virgil smiled at him sadly before reluctantly nodding.

*Time Skip* 

By the time Roman had fallen asleep, it was almost two in the morning.

Virgil sat, watching over him for a while before lifting him up and leaving the treehouse with Roman in his arms. He made sure to be careful so that he wouldn't wake him.

"I'm sorry, Ro... but I can't keep you safe."

Virgil kissed Roman's cheek and took him home.

*Time Skip*

-This is a bad idea!- Virgil thought to himself as he knocked on the door.

Roman's mother opened the door, and her gaze immediately fell on her son, sleeping peacefully in Virgil's arms. When her husband, who'd been standing behind her, saw him, he walked over and took him from Virgil. He left to put Roman in his bed. Having been left alone with Roman's mother, Virgil stood awkwardly.