Night Time Visit

At dinner that night, Roman was too lost in his thoughts to eat. He sat there, smiling to himself and thinking about Virgil.

"What's on your mind, son?"

Roman looked up at his father and shook his head.

"It's nothing..."

Roman's parents glanced at each other and smiled knowingly.

"Perhaps a boy?" his father asked.

This made Roman smile. He had come out to his parents three years ago and was extremely grateful that they'd been so supportive. Roman blushed at his father's comment.

"Okay, it's a boy, but it isn't in the way you think. And even if it was, you would never accept him..."

Roman sighed.

"Son, of course we would. Me and your mother would accept anybody who can make you feel loved and happy like you are now."

Roman shook his head and asked a question that he hoped his parents would assume to be hypothetical.

"What if he was a vampire?"

He instantly regretted asking the question, worried that his parents would realise this was something he was actually, currently debating.

"First off, we know you'd never be able to even tolerate them creatures. And second, the only way you'd be able to get anywhere near a vampire is if you killed them before they had the chance to kill you."

Roman internally frowned, but for his own sake, he had to plaster a smile onto his face.

"I'm going to get an early night..." mumbled Roman.

"Goodnight." his parents responded in unison.

Roman ran up to his room and laid down on his bed, staring up at the ceiling.

Virgil ran around the forest aimlessly and, after a while, lost track of time. After realising he had no clue where he was going or what he was doing, he stopped. Virgil had found himself back at the place that he and Roman had parted, the very edge of the forest. He sat up in a tree close by and admired the house that he assumed was Roman's. His suspicions were confirmed when he could make out Roman, sitting at the table with his parents. One perk of being a vampire, other than the speed and strength, was the amplified hearing. He knew it was wrong but decided to listen in on their conversation. Virgil had tuned in after the start of the conversation and the first words he heard were spoken by Roman's father.

"Perhaps a boy?"

Upon hearing this, Virgil's face dropped and he felt a stinging sensation in his chest. The next person he heard speak was the young Prince himself.

"What if he was a vampire?"

Virgil couldn't help but smile a little at Roman's question. A warmth rose to his cheeks which, for someone like him, was not a normal feeling.

-What is wrong with me?- he thought to himself.

Virgil had taken his attention away from the Prince family and internally scolded himself for spying on them despite knowing it was wrong. He couldn't help it though, every time he'd told himself he should leave, something had stopped him and convinced him to stay. He glanced back at the house and saw that Roman was gone from the table, leaving his parents alone. A light appeared in one of the upstairs windows and there Roman was. Virgil needed to get closer, he needed to see him. He jumped out of the tree and made his way into human territory, at this point he didn't care about the risk it posed to him. Roman was carved into Virgil's mind and seeing him, Virgil hoped, would appease him and stop that from being the case. He was below Roman's bedroom window, he was sad to see that it was closed and looked around for something, anything, that could help him. Virgil found a few small stones and picked them up before returning to his original spot. He aimed at the window and threw one of the stones. It hit the glass hard enough for the room's inhabitant to have heard it, but light enough that it didn't crack or smash the window.