another life 14

Chapter Fourteen: Monday 12:01pm

"For crying out loud Parker! What are you doing?" I yelped as I walked into the kitchen to find Parker half bent of the oven or the 'baking monster' as Parker who has zero imagination when it comes to names had named it. It had been free days since I had come to stay with Parker but I had quickly come to learn that he lived of fast food meals and take always since his ability in the kitchen was next to none. Now seeing him next to the oven that had not been used since he had moved in was more than just a little shocking.

"I. Am . Trying. To. Cook!" I had to laugh at his pained expression as he straitened producing a pan of what looked like charcoal. It was mean of me but it was so funny! Finally something Parker was not bloody perfect at.

He produced a sort of half scowl half smile as he placed the coal on the table and tried to peel it out of the pan without it crumbling to pieces. I started to feel sorry for him and pushed myself off of the door post and ambled my way over to the glass table at the over end of the room where Parker stood concentrating on the pan that looked more black than the 'food' . I had to hide another laugh with a cough but must have not done a very good job of it since I reserved another glare from Parker at the table.

"Parker if you wanted cooked food you could have asked me instead of torturing the cook pans." I put one hand on the table and one on his arm leaving him no way to avoid my gaze. So I didn't miss the rare bush that started to creep up from his neck only noticeable if you were looking for it.

"Okay what is it? Why have you now choose to start the act of cooking?" he still tried to avoid my gaze but soon realized he was not getting away with it that easy and pushed the what used to be a silver pan away from him and pulled me up into his arms kissing me softly on the lips before spinning me round so I was the one trapped against his arms instead.

"Nice try.." he mumbled under his breath as he unwound his arms from around my waist and picked up the pan again still trying to pull the..... Well the food he had been trying to cook.

I rolled my eyes at him and pulled the pan out of his hand manoeuvring it over to the sink and twisting the hot tap on while running it over the sides of the tin letting it soften the mixture.

"You don't seem to like all the take away's........ I just thought....." his arms came around my waist form the back and he leaned down to rest his head on my shoulder watching me ease the sticky substance out of the pan and into the dust bin by my side.

"You were cooking this for me?" I was amazed Parker had really started to turn into a really sweetheart since I had moved him with him. I thought I might be awkward at first but soon came to learn that this was not the case.

"Maybe....." he whispered as I turned my head to the side so I could see his face move.

"Okay what is it? Your being way to kind. No teasing. Wait no I take that back but still....." I was still coming to turns with how lucky I was to still have someone who cared. Or more than cared since he was obsessed with telling me every night before we departed for our different rooms that he loved me. Every time sending the same happy shiver through me.

"Does there have to be something wrong for me to be kind to you?" he asked raising his questioning eye brow at me which I court from the side of my left eye.

"Well...... I don't know" I admitted letting him laugh at my exasperated face before turning his head to face my neck and kissing it quickly before moving away to take the pan once again out of my hands and placing it in a bag he had somehow pulled out of the cabernet next to where I was standing. How did he do that?

I turned around leaning against the sink and watched him twist the top of the plastic bag and tie it in two before picking up the bin bag I had just emptied out the food and doing the same with that. With one in each hand he kissed me on the forehead before walking to the front door and the garbage bins that sat on his porch. I stayed leaning against the sink while I heard him talking to his neighbour who he complained several times would keep him talking for half an hour out in the freezing cold without a jacket. I laughed silently to myself before pushing off of the sink and marching over to the door and into the living room where I think I had left my phone.