Hanahaki Disease [Miyano Sora x Reader]

You saw Sora suspiciously hiding behind a pole. You knitted your brows thinking what might he be doing. You were about to approach him when you noticed that he's staring elsewhere.

"Is he stalking them?" You thought when you saw two girls from another school.

You flinched when Sora suddenly called out to them. You were taken aback by his behavior but what utterly surprised you is the next thing that happened.

"I like you," Sora professed in front of an impassive girl. You felt a pang in your chest when you heard those words. You have like him for a long time now, you even joined the volleyball team as a manager just to be with him and yet, you didn't know that he has already someone he likes.

You were about to leave when the girl turned him down. Your heart quickly rejoices, thinking that you might have a chance. But the thought of him being sad because of the rejection, makes you feel guilty for having such selfish thoughts.

The next day, you saw Sora having some sparkly aura around him. You thought it was odd, that he should be sad for what just happened yesterday. And what explains it is that he didn't gave up yet. You sneakily followed him, and you saw him pursuing her again.

The other days were just like that too, following him after classes, getting broken hearted from seeing him giving her flowers, giving her surprises, saving her from an incoming ball─ Just seeing those two makes you want to throw up. And it did happened when you felt a lump in your throat and coughed up a few petals. Heaving a sigh, you wiped your mouth and went home feeling gloomy.

The day of the volleyball match came, and you were kind of surprised that the girl that Sora likes happened to be one of the opponent's manager. That alone makes you feel quite anxious for some unknown reasons.

Your team started to practice first before the match and you can see how Sora is quite trying hard. You thought that it is good for both him and the team, but what made you sad is that he's trying his very best to show off to that girl. You suddenly felt the urge to puke so you excused yourself from the team.

As you arrived at the restroom, you strode near the sink and started vomiting flower petals. You felt your chest tightens and your eyesight becomes a bit blurry as you kept coughing up petals. But what frightened you is that the petals are filled with bits of blood.

You left the restroom looking pale, and there you saw someone familiar. A bob haired girl who seems to be lost. You were having mixed thoughts if you should help her or not. Surprisingly, she suddenly twisted her ankle which made you feel a bit guilty for not doing so.

You were about to approach her when Sora suddenly popped up out of nowhere which made the bob haired girl faint. But a few seconds after, the girl already gained her consciousness and Sora asked if she's okay.

Your chest tightens up again, your vision becomes fuzzy, and you felt a lump in your throat as you witnessed the sight before you. You dropped to your knees as you started coughing up bloody petals. You clutches your chest as you were unable to breathe. You tried to gasp for air, but the petals are blocking your throat. You stretched out your trembly hand as you tried to call out to them but no words would come out of your mouth. And there, you caught a glimpse of Sora carrying her on his back. A tear streaked down your face as you felt your consciousness slowly fading.

"It hurts," You thought. "But it hurts more seeing the one you like won't even look your way."

In a split second, your consciousness completely fades away.

°°°

You woke up hearing some beeping sounds. The white ceiling greeted your eyesight. You heard a gasp beside you and there you saw your mother all teary-eyed.

"You're finally awake! We're so worried sick about you!" She said, embracing you. "Ah! Your friends are waiting outside, I should call them in─"

"What happened?" You quickly asked, confused on what she had said. The only thing you remembered was you were at the volleyball game. But after that, everything seems so vague.

Your mother was taken aback, "Huh? You don't remember? Your friends told me that someone saw you laying unconscious on the floor with bloody flower petals scattered around you. That person took you to the infirmary but the nurse said that you might have that disease."

"Disease?" You muttered under your breath as you tried to recall everything. Just then, the door opened and your team mates came rushing in bombarding you with questions. But, someone caught your attention.

"Sora," You absentmindedly called. Everyone went silent. You stared at him for a long while but you felt that there's something missing.

"I'm really sorry (last name)-san! It's my fault that you had to go all through that! If I only noticed earlier I─"

You cutted him off after realizing something, "I see, so that's how it is." You chuckled bitterly. "You're the guy I used to like, but that feeling is no longer here and it's because of the surgery, right mother?"

"It's the only way," she simply replied.

"I'm the one responsible for this, that's why.." Sora stopped midway as he suddenly choked over his words and coughed up petals. Everyone, including you were utterly surprised.

"Y-You.. You're─"

"Now we're even, don't you think?"