Chapter One: Move-In

Thursday August 23, 2018

     "Why does packing for college take eighty-four years? I'm not leaving forever, I'll be back in a week for Labor Day. And probably a few more times before Thanksgiving break." Harry complained, staring at his now mostly-empty room. Sirius stood in the doorway, watching his godson start to get emotional. "Should I take a gap year? Are you and Remus going to be fine here without me?" 

     "Kid, we're going to be fine. Moony and I survived all four years of college with-" He stopped, immediately looking down. It had been seventeen years since they were killed, but it was still too hard to mention their names. "With your parents." He sighed. Harry nodded, a small smile forming on his face. 

       "I wish I remembered them more. I didn't get much time with them, Padfoot. I hate that it got taken away from me. But I'm glad I'm going to Hogwarts like you all did. Together. Ron and Hermione are going to be there too, so I won't be one hundred percent terrified. Maybe, well, maybe eighty percent. But, I have to go through the fear or I'll never get through my life." Harry's hand found a picture frame that was still on the wall. It showed four young men and a young woman. Living their best lives. They each had caps and gowns on. One of the men was giving the redheaded woman a piggyback ride. Lily and James. "I'm going to make them proud, Padfoot." The nickname stung. Harry only used it in times of worry or fear.

          Sirius choked back a sob. "You already do, Mini-Prongs. You've been making them proud since day one. Nothing you do would ever fuck that up, kid. You already know that." Sirius swore, trying his best to smile through the pain. Harry smiled, lunging towards his godfather and wrapping him in a hug. "You're not gone forever, Mini-Prongs. You'll be back." 

            "I know. I just wish Hogwarts wasn't so far away." Harry sighed, pulling back from the hug. Sirius nearly barked out a laugh, but Remus' entrance stopped it from happening. "I guess I'm all ready to go, Moony." Harry frowned. "I'm gonna miss you two."

              "Harry, you're only going to Hogwarts. It's a maximum of four hours away, two if you're Sirius over here." Remus joked, poking fun at his partner of nearly twenty years. Sirius put up his hands in defense.

              "Jesus, a man gets two speeding tickets..." He muttered, turning to leave the room. Harry chuckled, watching the shaggy-haired man walk out of the room in defeat.

             "You were literally going ninety in a fifty, Padfoot!" Remus yelled after him. "Both times!" This caused Harry's laugh to come out in full force. He needed this. Especially on a day like this. Where he was going to leave behind everything he'd ever known. 

             "I'll be back for Labor Day." Harry whispered once his laugh had died down. Remus turned around to face him, smiling.

             "I know. You'll be back once every other week, I'm sure. I would suggest doing weekly dinners, but you're already going to be so busy with classes and your work-study at the library." Remus smiled, proud. "You know that's where-"

            "It's where mom worked. All four years. She would leave little notes in the stacks during finals week, hoping someone who needed it would find it. It brought her endless joy." Harry smiled, a small tear escaping his eye. Remus nodded, patting the boy on the shoulder. "I better be going, I have to be checked in by four." Harry picked up the last of his things and brought them down to his black 2012 Chevrolet Impala. He made sure to plug his phone into the AUX cord before giving his substitute parents both tight hugs.  "See you next week!" He waved, getting into the car and starting his playlist before setting off down the road.