chapter twenty

Kaito was getting tired. Luffy could see it in the way the younger boy dragged his feet, the way his shoulders drooped, and the beads of sweat rolling down the kid's face as he half-supported-half-dragged Luffy down the path.

"Kaito," Luffy winced as the boy brushed up against the large wound on his side, "Let's stop and rest for a bit." The smaller boy narrowed his eyes in determination, stared straight ahead, and shook his head no.

"We... we need... to make... as much... progress as... possible!" he said in-between pants. It was true, the two of them needed to get as far away from Bluejam as they could, but the sun was going down, and the temperature was dropping fast. Although Luffy could tell he was trying to restrain himself, Kaito was shivering.

"We can rest for a little while. Make camp," Luffy suggested, trying to push himself away from the smaller boy that insisted on moving ahead. He finally succeeded, and sat himself down on a broken tree stump. Kaito, exhausted, crumpled to his knees, and wiped the seat from his face. After he had calmed himself down, the smaller boy looked up at Luffy, a bright but tired look glimmering in his silver eyes. The older boy smiled. "You're doing great," he encouraged, running his fingers through his inky-black hair. "About how long until the mountain from here?" Kaito pulled the island map out of his back, and furrowed his brows in concentration.

Pointing to an area in the forest area of the island, he said, "We're here. It's about a half-day's travel until the city. We're only a couple kilometers away from a smaller city, Veera. We could probably stop there and rest for a few hours tomorrow before we head any closer to the center city." Luffy nodded, and Kaito returned the map to the bag, and replaced it with a couple of apples. He tossed one to Luffy, who struggled to catch it. "Sorry," Kaito said, taking a bite of his fruit, "I forgot about your limited motor skills." The taller boy shrugged in response, gratefully sinking his teeth into the red food. "I can find us some wood for a fire," Kaito suggested, noticing Luffy's visible breath. The older one vigorously shook his head in disagreement.

"Iss 'oo 'angeroush," he explained, his mouth full of apple. "Fire m'ns v'sibi'ly. M'ns 'uej'm." Though it was hard to distinguish what exactly Luffy was saying, Kaito felt he got the jist.

"So no fire." Luffy swallowed the apple chunks in his mouth. He unceremoniously tossed the bare apple core over his shoulder, into a bush behind him. Once Kaito had finished his apple, he did the same.

"Exactly." Kaito nodded, looking around in the dusky light.

"So... what do we do to keep warm?" Luffy thought for a moment, looking around.

"Find shelter." The older boy stood, albeit slowly and painfully, and hobbled over to a nearby tree. It was old and large, and had a hollowed out bottom. Luffy ducked his head inside, and then proceeded to crouch and climb into the opening, before climbing out a minute later. "We'll sleep in here, grab a pile of fallen leaves," Luffy directed, pointing to the ground. Kaito followed the directions, and followed Luffy into the little tree opening. He and Luffy laid them on the ground, and then scattered them. The younger grabbed another pile, adding a second layer of comfort.

The sunlight filtered through the forest leaves above them, bathing the world in a warm orange light as the sun sunk below the horizon. Luffy found it peaceful.

"Now take those branches over there," he pointed to a small pile of branches, and Kaito dutifully brought them to his friend, "and we'll set them up against the tree opening." The two carried out their task and climbed into their hut. It was slightly colder inside than it was outside, so Luffy removed his tattered vest jacket and placed it on the younger's shoulders. Kaito immediately shrugged it off.

"You'll be cold," he explained, when Luffy gave him a questioning look. The taller boy waved his hand in dismissal, wrapping the vest around his young friend. Their shivering didn't stop until Luffy had wrapped his bandaged arms all around Kaito, and cuddled up to him. Kaito, though he hadn't meant to, fell fast asleep, feeling safe, for small second of his life. Luffy brought the boy closer to his body, and listened to the sound of his deep breathing.

Soon, the sun had sunk completely below the horizon, and darkness fell upon the world. Crickets chirped a soft, earthy symphony, as if singing the boys a sweet lullaby. It was a moonless night, which Luffy was thankful for. It meant that it would be harder for the Bluejam Pirates, if they were to pass by, to see the small hut the boys hid in.

"Shit," he muttered softly, as he realized the apple cores would, should Bluejam show up, give away the escapees' position. He realized he had to simply rely on hope that that would not happen. Kaito's eyelids fluttered as he slept, dreaming. Luffy, though he knew that his situation was dangerous, smiled to himself. He made a mental note to share some sake with the kid, and join the two together as brothers.

Luffy froze as that thought crossed his mind.

Brothers. Huh. This boy he had met not even two months ago, his friend, and now Luffy's little brother. Almost.

Luffy smiled again, realizing he wouldn't be as lonely.

If he were to join the Straw Hats, would that upset the balance of the crew? If he didn't, who would take care of him? Dadan? Probably Dadan. Luffy knew she was lonely, despite having her family of mountain bandits, and that she missed her adoptive sons. Well, he hoped she did. He certainly missed her.

In the darkness of the tree trunk, Luffy wondered how she was doing. How she dealt with Ace's death. If she dealt with Ace's death, or if she simply drank until she couldn't feel. No, Dadan was stronger than that. Luffy guessed she handled it well, until eyes weren't on her, and then she cried for her adoptive son.

He sighed quietly as memories of his mom danced in his mind. She always smelled like apples and cinnamon. And cigarettes, Luffy admitted silently. She smelled woodsy, like the earth and the trees, like the calm before the storm, when the air is damp enough you can smell the leaves. She was always so warm, and he always felt so safe around her. Not that he'd ever tell her that, not in a million years. He chuckled silently.

The tree smelled like her. Like home. Like the treehouse he, Sabo, and Ace lived in when they decided to "move out." Like the grass the boys would roll around in, dirtying their clothes, and the feeling of victory as they tackled a monster.

In the darkness of the world, the memories of the good parts of Luffy's childhood lulled him into a deep sleep.