17- Survival

CAIN—

How could I possibly describe the agony of watching my mate leap forward, stab Kile with the speed of lightning, and then stagger back with Kile's blade in his hand, pulled from his stomach, covered in his life's blood? It was overwhelming, all-encompassing, like a nightmare come to life.

The remaining mercenaries ran the second Kile fell, most probably only held there that long in fear of the man. The little bobcat shifter went after the men, and their screams of pain and his screeching cries could be heard echoing off the trees before fading into the darkness.

The shifter was young, maybe my age. With his appearance in the fight, I finally understood what Kile and his men had been doing when they had stumbled on Riece's camp— hunting wild mages.

I jumped towards Riece, managing to just barely catch him as he fell. He groaned as I gently laid him down, his head in my lap. I could hear Dasan and Nibley moving behind me, but I could focus on nothing but Riece's strong, fluttering heartbeat and his labored breaths.

"It was him, wasn't it?" he mumbled, the words coming out on a pained breath. "He's the one... who made you doubt. Who broke your heart, so you... can't let me in."

I nodded, unable to say anything past the lump in my throat and the vice in my chest.

"Good," he sighed out on a heavy breath. "I'm glad he's dead, then. Wish I could've... made it hurt more."

I grunted, shaking my head at his poor attempt at humor, before digging my nose into his neck and scenting him with a swipe of my cheek against his.

"Shh love, I'm alright," he said gently, his hand coming up to brush his fingers through my hair. His eyes met mine when he pulled my head back to study my face, and he smiled dreamily. "Gods, I love you. So much."

And then his hand in my hair dropped as he fell limp in my arms. My heart stopped for what felt like an eternity of missed chances until I felt his breaths against my hair and heard his heartbeats, rapid but strong. He was a fighter. He'd survive this.

He has to. Or I won't.

Nibley's hand on my shoulder made me jerk and sit up, growling low in my throat at the older man.

"Down, kitty," he bit out in annoyance. "Let's go."

I looked back at Dasan, who held a pack out to me. "Shift," he said sternly, impatiently. "There's a change of clothes in here. Take the Emperor back to Teren Keep, and shift and change into these as soon as you're near. If you come running up as a cougar, they'll shoot you before they even notice the Emperor on your back."

I followed their orders mechanically, waiting semi-patiently as they strapped the Emperor securely to my back only after they had tied the small pack to his limp body. They showed me the strap they left dangling free, that I had to bite and pull on to release the Emperor so I could shift. The moment he was secure, I was on the move, running as fast as my injured leg would allow.

I knew I wouldn't use the strap. Riece couldn't spare the time it would take me to shift, dress, and then the slow walk of my human form the last few meters. No, I would run the entire way, my own life be damned.

Please, Riece. Please live. I can't... I won't live without you. Survive. Please. Please. Please.

RIECE—

I woke a few times as Cain ran, his powerful body moving sleekly through the forest, his injured leg not seeming to hinder him in the least.

The last time I woke, we were surrounded by firelight, torches, and shouts. Then I was being carried, men's voices were rising around me, and finally, I was warm and waking in strong, hot arms, lying against a broad chest that rose and fell steadily in sleep.