X

Lisa was taken home by a driver that Jennie had sent along with a cliché black sedan of a foreign brand. And she texted a ‘thank you’ to her as soon as they were on their way. Jennie hadn’t read it, so she thought that she had to be inside the plane then.

Halfway through the drive though, the driver suddenly talked to her for the first time since he met her in the airport. “Miss,” he greeted her in English.

Surprised, Lisa answered, “Um, yeah?”

“Ms. Kim told me to give you this,” he said, offering a small and plain white envelope to her.

She took it and tried to guess what was inside. But it was so thin, she would’ve thought that it was empty instead. Her curiosity got the better of her, she opened it and peeked inside to see whatever was there.

Her eyebrows were scrunched and she was confused as she pulled out a small black card and place it on her hand. “What is this for?” she asked the driver. The card seemed awfully familiar. But she didn’t want to make any assumptions yet.

With practiced ease, the driver drove them and swerved over lanes and other cars as he answered her, “As she is now the rightful owner of The Naka Resort, she wanted me to tell you that if you ever need a place to go to, you will always be welcomed there.”

And confirmed was her suspicion.

“So is this like she’s renting out a room to me in the resort for free instead of me paying for it every night?” Lisa asked, quite upset already. Jennie should’ve known better than this.

“I’m afraid not quite so, Miss. She also said that in return of the free accommodation including meals three times a day, she would want you to work for her in the resort,” the driver answered her with a small yet amused smile.

“But did she not tell you that I have a job already? What am I going to do with my other one when I start working again?” she questioned. If she didn’t have her other job to think about, she would’ve already taken the job in a heartbeat so long as she didn’t have to take it for free.

The car turned right on an intersection. “She said it would be okay if you want to keep your other job. But you will have the morning shift which starts at 5 in the morning.”

Lisa laughed hearing that. Jennie knew her well after all.

“I’ll just take the night shift. Thank you, though.” She shook her head, chuckling to herself as the driver tried to contain his smile to keep his professionalism.

Now that they had sorted everything out, she was so excited by the prospect of leaving that house that she started punching the air and did some awkward dance moves on the back seat of the car. And now that she didn’t have to worry about her money being stolen by that good-for-nothing crackhead of a brother, she would find another daytime work and start saving up so she could treat Jennie on a nice date. Maybe she could even help her pay for her own stuff on their next date.

“Ms. Manoban,” the driver shook her off her daydream. “Ms. Kim also told me to get you situated in your room as soon as possible. So is there some things that you would like to get from home now?”

Ah, she was happy too soon. He was right. She still needed to get some things first from that house; like her clothes and all.

“Yes,” she answered. But her voice was shaky. It didn’t feel like her own. So she repeated her answer. “Yes, I would.”

“Do you know where it is?”

“Yes, Miss,” the driver answered dutifully.

“Okay.” Lisa looked out the window. She knew what time it was. She knew where his brother must be around this time.