ZERO: TWO

〰️➿〰️
The Years Before Academy — War and Remedy
〰️➿〰️
Now facing war deployment as a four-year-old, I suddenly remember that Itachi had to also endure this torture. I don't know if my existence prevents him from experiencing this or delays it. I don't want to entertain the thought of my brother on a field of dying men. If it's me, it's okay. I think I can handle this.

"Papa... why are you saying this?" I drop all pretense of being an advanced child and play to my parent's emotions.

I'll admit my knowledge has been going due to my guzzling of this world's knowledge and etiquettes and people. It's already impossible to remember something I read vividly four years ago with no inaccuracies. I just tell myself every morning of the Uchiha Massacre, of Danzou's schemes, of Orochimaru's traps, and the abilities of Itachi and Sasuke.

And I think that if I become a versatile ninja, I'll be able to react to plot events I may or may not have forgotten.

But I do pride myself with my impressive memory, which is why I enthused in history. I have no doubt that though I may forget, key events will remind me.

Just like now.

"You are still weak, my son," Papa monotones, adding the my son with some kind of hidden intent. "In a few years, you will be a ninja like your father, and unless the war comes to a close, the reality of shinobi will not change, the world you are about to step in is only the tip of it."

I hate those words. A papa should never say that...

Did Itachi fight back? Did he hesitate?

"But, Papa, I've already hurt myself in training. To trust me on the battlefield is too much! I need to do more to earn your respect!"

He closes his eyes and turns away. "It is done, Takenaka. This is the world a ninja must live in."

I don't really have a choice. I plead to my mother who stays silent. She's not as submissive as she likes to pretend. I feel that the two had a bad argument and she lost. But my parents never fight. As shinobi, they can easily hide their emotions.

Why are they being so overly sensitive right now?

Why are they coddling me, shortly before throwing me into the fire?

I tear away from Mother and head to Itachi's room. If they were going to screw me over like this, I don't want them lying to Itachi. Big brother will return soon from his trip. He'll be alright.

Itachi opens his eyes, so dull, and his gaze latches onto me. "Tata..."

"Hey, Itachan," I smile.

He quickly gets to his feet. "Tata! Mama and Papa are okay?"

How perceptive is he? I shake my head. "Yes, they're fine, why are you saying that, Itachan?"

Itachi's frown sinks deeper. "Are Tata okay?"

"I'm fine. Stop worrying about things that don't make sense!" I smile despite my worry.

My little brother isn't convinced at all. But I get a chance to play with him and tell stories of great families shortly before my father enters the room, wearing his Jounin uniform, a stuffed messenger bag resting on his hip.

"Takenaka, put proper clothes on," he says. "We'll be leaving shortly."

I swallow as he leaves and have to look at Itachi's wide and terrified eyes.

"Tata will come home. He won't leave you," I say. "But if your brother does, promise me you won't be scared to fight for what's right, Itachi."

He winces at his unfamiliar name coming out my mouth. "Tata..."