"Money. As I was saying, the nice young man wanted to know if he could make an anonymous donation to our cancer research."

"He... he donated to our hospital?"

"Yes, and a hefty sum at that."

"How much," my voice is hesitant, not really knowing if I even want the answer.

"Roughly twenty thousand." Twenty thousand. Coincident? I think not. "It will definitely help us a great deal. We owe this man and the company he represents."

I don't doubt it. Such an amount of money goes a long way when it comes to research and supporting the hospital.

"It was nice chatting dear, but I have patients to attend to. Get some rest."

I smile, "I will, thanks again."

Pressing the small red button, I get comfortable on the couch with a blanket. Cocooned in warmth with a bag of chips, I put on Frozen for the hundredth time and push all worries to the back of my mind. Stress can wait until I'm ready to deal with it.

...

Glancing into the rearview mirror, I curse under my breath. The black mustang is still hot on my heels, it's tinted window not allowing me to see who is at the wheel.

My heart jumps suddenly when a crash sounds from behind, my car lurching forward. I'm thrown against the seatbelt, oxygen rushing from my lungs as more angry tears spill from my eyes.

Why can't these people leave me alone? I no longer care whether it's Christian, Rico or the devil himself. I just want my peace.

A sob racks through my body as my foot pushes down to accelerate.

I need to get home.

I'd left my Uncle's house this morning, getting into my car with the intent of going straight to my house. The mustang soon showed up behind me and at first I didn't think much of it. Not until it took every turn with me, not even stopping when a light turned red right after I passed.

Anxiety had slowly settled in my stomach until the assault on my newly repaired car started. It had begun gradually, the occasional bump, speeding to drive by my side. If it weren't for the screeching tyres and sharp corners, I would have searched my purse for my phone. I need to get home, then I can call someone. I don't know who, but someone.

The black vehicle is suddenly at my left, ramming into my side. Sparks fly as metal clashes with metal.

My engine is in full throttle, breath erratically ripping from my throat.

A scream tears from my lungs when a car appears out of nowhere. Without thinking, I rip around the wheel and slam the breaks. My cries are drowned out when the car flies past me, missing by a hair's breadth, colliding with the black mustang beside me.

I watch, stunned, as both cars go airborne only to crash to the ground at odd angles, scraps of metal flying in all directions.

The ear splitting sound slashes across my soul as fire engulfs the two cars. The heat washes over my skin, sending a wave of tears across my face as I desperately try to tear my eyes from the wreck.

My car had come to a sudden halt, turned around and facing the mangled shell of two, black, burning mustangs.

They had tried to kill me. With shaking hands, I reach to touch my arm.

I can feel.

I'm alive.

That is the only coherent thought rushing through my mind as I lean back against the seat. Air expels from my lungs in a stuttering sigh, eyes beginning to feel heavy.

I barely register it when my door is ripped open, cool air dancing across my heated skin.

"Victoria! Can you hear me? Please say something."

The voice floats around me, wrapping me in warmth. The weights attached to my lids become heavier until it's almost impossible to open them.

Summoning the last ounce of strength in my body, I force my eyes open. A blurry face swims before me, dark eyes clouded with concern. Rough hands are placed on either side of my face, holding my heavy head upright.

"Victoria. I'm here now, you don't have to worry anymore."

I nod slightly. At least, I think I do. My brain is filling with cotton and it's getting impossible to think. Much less move.

I close my eyes and, just before the darkness takes me, I hear a second voice murmuring in the distance.

"She sure made a mess of things."

I let oblivion take over.

...

I love this version way better