Chapter 12 - Purpose

Start from the beginning

A horse neighed in the distance. Namjoon's face hardened.

Three men on horseback approached you, their steeds carrying the blood-red flag of the emperor. Your heart turned to gel as you came to your knees. Would they demand more food from the farmers again? Taxes? Something else? The emperor's wishes changed more frequently than the weather, and it was always the lower class that paid for it most.

Namjoon held out his hand to signal you to be still. His steel nerves took the tension out of your body.

Whatever the possibilities, he wouldn't let any harm come to you. You believed that with every fiber of your being.

One of the guards spoke.

"We're looking for Kim Namjoon, son of Sihyuk. Do you know him?"

"I'm him," Namjoon replied without hesitation.

"These fields are your family's, correct?"

He nodded.

"Your family has served the Emperor well with your provisions."

Namjoon sealed his lips and nodded again. You knew what he was really thinking:

Yes, we serve the Emperor well... and he lets us starve to death.

What the guards didn't know was that Namjoon and his family hid away a small percentage of crops to feed starving people in the village. His family had saved yours more times then you ever wanted to admit. He would never let you starve. You never doubted that.

"The Emperor has received your request for admission into the guards."

You started to your feet. "Namjoon, you --"

"Quiet," he commanded, his eyes shooting you a warning glance.

He had never reprimanded you like that before. You sank back on your ankles.

"I'm honored that the emperor would seek me out personally," Namjoon replied to the guards, bowing.

"We would like to discuss your admittance," the guard said. "Would you be able to attend city hall this evening?"

"Yes, of course."

The guards nodded. "Then we look forward to your attendance."

They arranged the time and location, while you sat there, dazed.

Namjoon? Part of the Emperor's guards? Why? The men there were crooked and evil. They preyed on the weak. They tortured the strong. Why the hell would Namjoon apply for such a position?

The guards left the field, and Namjoon let out a long breath.

"I'm so sorry, Y/N," he said. "Are you okay?"

You jumped to your feet. "Am I okay? Are you insane? You applied to work for the guards, but never breathed a word about it? Why would you do such a thing?"

His head dropped as his weight shifted. "I knew you wouldn't approve."

"Who the hell would?!"
"It's not working anymore," he said. "Our family crops aren't producing like they used to. We're going dry. We can't help everyone anymore. The emperor is becoming harsher with food rations, and we can't pacify him."

It's not like you could disagree. Your mother had to work 12-hour shifts to make enough for bags of rice and wilted vegetables to get you and Jungkook through the week.

"I can't do any more from the outside." he continued. "I have to get inside."

"You moron," you whispered back, your insides trembling. "They'll kill you."