4. First day

*So the story continues. I am struggling with the rest of the scenes, I know where I need to go to, I only have to fill in the blank spaces. I've come up with this: let's do some worldbuilding, some scenery, to get a touch of feeling what it is like there.*

I stepped on the porch, the rough wood bleached by age, making a creaky sound when I walked to the front to open the screen door. The smell of mushrooms and the forest in October welcomed me at first.

It was a simple interior, worn with age: five narrow beds with screaming bedspreads in bright colours next to a small bathroom, separated by a shoulder-heighted wall. Behind each bed were a few shelves tacked into the walls near the beamed roof, stuffed with books and the ugliest DIY-sculptures I'd ever seen.

I smiled at the girls, unpacking their pyjama's, toiletry and other stuff for their first night. There was no room or cabinet to put our clothes in, so we had to leave it in our suitcase.

Great!  Wrinkle all the way!

My roommates were a mixture of cultures and personalities. There was a Chinese girl, Kim Mink Lo, with black shiny hair cut into a bob. She mumbled something that should have been English, but sounded like as if she'd had come from another planet. She didn't look much older than twelve due to her delicate body and she was the kind of girl that would never talk shit about anyone. Next to her stood an Italian girl, a sexy accent escaping her full lips when she introduced herself: Cleo. She was tall and gorgeous with round curves and long, dark-brown hair. The cheerleader type that would stab you in the back whenever it Suited her. A Dutch girl with short golden-blond hair and sky-blue eyes enthusiastically shook my hand.

''Anita.'' The kind of girl I would get along with.

The last girl hesitated, the frown in her forehead indicated she had no intention to be social at all, acted like she was the only good kid in a pack of misfits. I challenged her with my eyes, the first contact was the most important one and I had no intention to give in to her. Eventually she walked up to me. Her rhythmic accent revealed she was a southern girl, probably Texas.

''Denise.'' The name was misplaced, I expected her to be a Robin or a Taylor or something more mascular than this name. Her short body had strong muscles, her hair was cut too short and laid flat on her head with no intention to flatter her face. No way she was a Denise.

''That's yours.'' She pointed at the bed next to the bathroom.

''Thanks.'' Obviously, they left me the worst spot.

After unpacking the necessary belongings, I felt it was time for some fresh air. I changed my outfit for shorts and a singlet and walked to the porch.

''I'm going to my friend,'' I announced stepping down the stairs. I really hated it we were not allocated to the same cabin.

Bree was sitting on the porch of her own cabin, babbling and giggling with two girls. She always had been good in first contacts, much better than I was and ever would be.

''So, how are your roommates?''

I shrugged my shoulders, not able to hide the disappointment that travelled over my face. We were walking to the lake, where others already were jumping into the water and having fun. Unfortunately, I had one of the last days of my period. I was glad it was almost done, because normally it had the tendency to appear when it was the absolutely worst time ever. But now it felt sad that I'd to skip the offer to plench in. It sure was a lovely day for it. Bree was solidary and she'd suggested to take a walk by the lake.

''Mine are so nice. Don't you like it that we are able to meet all the different people from around the world?''

I mumbled something of a yes.

''Have you seen this weeks' programme?''

'''Bummer. Forgot to check.''

''We'll have human stratego tomorrow morning, I love that game.''

Running through the woods on a warm, sunny day. Yeah, that sounded just how I wanted to spend my days here. Not!

''And this afternoon?'' I raised an eyebrow, giving her that sceptical look as if I was afraid something like claying sculptures or baking cupcakes was on the program.

''Free time, to get to know the camp ground and each other,'' she assured me with a grin.

Behind us a throat cleared.

''Hello ladies.''

* I might need some help here: I need a nickname for Kit. A sweet but strong name, the one a bad boy would  give her. Any ideas?*