But Newt did worry, thoughts of Emmy and what could be happening to her keeping him awake for what seemed like hours, until he finally passed out.

A typical early morning in the Glade.
A few weeks before a new greenie had arrived. A girl, the first they'd ever had.

She was still unable to remember her own name, which was odd and had caused some worry, but she still remembered Newt.
Not well, apparently, just enough to recognize his face to be able to put it with his name.

The others were distracted by her presence that much was clear, even a few of them not beyond even making some flirting remarks.

However that ended when the girl had had enough of one glader, who had insisted on pushing her boundaries. He narrowly missed a knife being stabbed into his hand at the dinner table on the girl's fourth day in the Glade.

Newt had caught her one night sitting in a tall oak in the Deadheads, just watching the sky.
On an impulse, he'd joined her instead of asking why she wasn't asleep in her hammock.

Waking up early, he'd found the greenie girl's hammock empty again, and knew where she must've gone.
Quietly making his way outside the sleeping area, Newt found himself standing at the base of the oak.

The girl was up there, sitting on the burls that made a sort of knobby niche.
Just wide enough for two people.
She silently acknowledged him as Newt climbed up, sitting a little ways from her on the branch.

And still saying nothing, the pair watched together as the sun slowly peeked up over the walls, golden morning sun spilling over into the Glade.
It was comfortable, like they had done this before, longer than just a few weeks.

Climbing down sometime later, sunlight lighting up the Glade, the two went to walk their separate ways, to begin their jobs for the day.
The smell of breakfast cooking drifted acrossed the fields, sounds of other gladers echoing through the trees.

"See you later greenie," Newt had finally said, after some semi-awkward silence.

"My name is Emma," came the soft response, making him pause and turn.

Newt smiled a little.
"See you later then.....Emma."

At that, Emma herself gave a small half smile in return before they turned, both going their separate ways, unaware that unseen glances were passing between the two of them

~•~•~•~•~•~•~•~

"I wanna know what's through that door." Thomas muttered for what had to have been the millionth time that morning.