A Father's Plea

Not Mine

-------------------------------------

Harry ran, and ran, and ran. He couldn’t stop. He knew he should be smiling but he just couldn’t do it. He knew that he should be ecstatic, but he wasn’t. He was running towards the great, praying that everyone was alright, hoping that the teachers were able to keep back the death eaters. 

He reached the great hall and made himself invisible. He took a deep breath and pushed the door open. No one looked his way. Everyone was too occupied with the battle they were having. Harry looked around. He could see Neville shooting spells in weird directions but he couldn’t see Ron, Hermione, Ginny or Draco anywhere. 

He could see tiny Professor Binns on the ground near the teachers’ table, with Madam Pomfrey dealing with him. There were a few death eaters lying around but there were even more students. They looked dead. It was quite clear that the death eaters were winning. Harry observed for a while and soon realised that there were spells coming from the end of the Slytherin table, to the death eaters. He guessed that was where his friends were and so he ran for it. 

‘Hey.’ he whispered, praying that his friends where there.

BANG!

Hermione had got him into another one of her hugs and Ginny was trying to kiss him. He kissed her quickly and then fought them both off. 

‘Is he gone? Did you kill him? What happened?’ Hermione shrieked. 

‘Keep your voice down,’ Harry whispered. ‘Yes, he is gone. Yes, I'm pretty sure he’s dead and as for what happened, I can't really remember.’

‘Oh Harry! I'm so glad! This is great! You killed him!’ she cried, sniffling. 

‘Well, it won't be too great if these death eaters kill all our teachers! I'm going to make myself un-invisible to show them I'm here. I'm alive. What about you four?’

‘Yeah, let’s do it.’ Ron said, somewhere from the back.

They made their way to the middle of the room and made themselves visible. When they did, all activity stopped. They stood in the middle, all eyes on Harry. 

‘He’s waiting on you, Potter. In the prefects’ bathroom.’ Lucius sneered.

‘I've been. I've killed him, he’s dead.’

Lucius’ face fell, as did all the other death eaters’.

‘Don’t lie, Potter.’ Bellatrix sneered.

‘Call for him, then Bella. Call him. You really think he’s going to reply. You know I'm not lying.’

‘You are! You’re lying, Potter! You couldn’t kill him, you’re too weak!’

‘Go for it, Bella. Call him.’

‘Fine! MASTER! ANSWER ME! ANSWER ME IF YOU ARE THERE!’

‘He’s not there, Bella. Believe me.’

She fainted and the fight started again. All spells directed at Harry. He was blocking them well, but wasn’t getting to send many.

The death eaters’ motivation was gone and none of them wanted it anymore. Their spark was gone. An hour later they were all tied up and not even struggling. Professor McGonagall had contacted the ministry to come and get them. Harry stood, watching the chaos. Ginny came up behind him and slipped her hand into his.

‘You did it, Harry. You saved everyone.’

‘Yeah, we did, didn’t we? It wasn’t just me, you know. Everyone helped.’ 

‘Hmmm. But you killed Voldemort, Harry. You defeated the greatest dark wizard ever!’

‘Yeah okay. But let’s not make a big deal about it.’

Hermione, Ron and Draco came to join them. 

‘Well done, mate.’

‘You did it, Harry!’

‘Yeah,’ he smiled. ‘I guess.’

‘Only one bad thing about it,’ Draco sighed. ‘Well, two actually.’

‘What?’ Harry said, bemused.

‘Well, one, you’re going to be bored until the next big baddie comes along.’

Harry laughed. ‘And number two?’

‘Someone hit me with a spell and the Erroneous identity thing wore off. My dad saw me and Neville.’

‘Oh my God!’ Ginny gasped. ‘What did he do?’

‘Well, he tried to kill Neville, but he blocked it really well. Then he tried to kill me, but I dodged it. Then he just screamed at me, telling me how disappointed he was, and asking me how I could do that to him and to the family blah, blah, blah…’

‘You alright mate?’ Ron asked.

‘Yeah I'm fine. Just glad it's out in the open, really.’

‘Sure?’

‘Yeah, honestly, I'm fine about it.’

The five friends stood at the edge of the hall, watching the death eaters get carted off, bound by magical handcuffs. Draco watched as his father was trailed away, but he turned his back to the screams of his dad’s plea.

‘Draco, Draco! My only son! How could you betray me?’

Draco turned and marched out of the hall, his friends following him. He got so many dirty looks from every Slytherin he passed but he didn’t really care.

He walked right past them, not even bothering to curse them, even though everyone knew he could. He said goodnight to his friends and went to his old Slytherin dorm.

Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny made their way up to their tower to prepare for a long, sleepless night.