The Ball

Harry and Hermione stood beaming at the rest of the students. Most of them were beaming back, except the Slytherin table and neither Harry nor Hermione cared. Hermione tried to make a speech but Harry pulled her arm, ‘You don't have to. Please don't. Just, get this thing started!’

Hermione nodded and looked to Dumbledore, signalling to let the teachers in so that the ball could start. Dumbledore walked towards the large wooden doors and pulled them open. Soft, slow music started playing and, pairs of people walked in. Harry took everything in, sometimes sniggering.

First there was Professor Sprout and presumably her husband. Harry didn’t know outsiders were allowed in.

Next there were two of the Arithmancy teachers that Harry didn’t know. Hermione waved frantically at them.

Next came the funniest thing Harry had seen in a really long time. Maybe the funniest thing he had EVER seen. It was Professor Snape being dragged into the hall by none other than their dear old Professor Trelawney. Harry didn’t just snigger, he laughed so loud Hermione slapped his back and told him to shut up.

The other teachers came in and Harry was still looking for Professor Hodges and Petunia. Finally, Petunia came in. On her arm was none other than, ‘Mundungus Fletcher?’ Harry whispered. Petunia smiled a proud smile at him and at his gaping mouth. It was kind of Mundungus’ fault they were late, (wink wink). 

Harry looked around once again for their new teacher. He couldn’t see anything until she appeared at the door. She was dressed in emerald green dress robes and her long dark hair hung down her back in loose curls. Harry’s eyes were temporarily unable to move but a shocking red head made his eyes wander. On Professor Hodges’ arm was none other than one of the Weasley twins. Hermione started dancing nervously beside Harry. ‘Look Harry, look. Look at the new teacher! Oh my God! Is that Fred or George? Merlin! Look at Ron's face! He better not be jealous!’ Hermione stormed over to Ron and started firing questions. Harry laughed at his best friend’s face. He loved Hermione as his sister but at times like this, she could really do with lying off the tension. Harry grinned at Fred (or George) and walked over to Ginny. Everyone had begun to dance and he really should be up there. He was the new head boy, after all.

Ginny grabbed him into a hug which could’ve matched one of her mothers. ‘Harry I'm so proud of you! And look at me with my shiny new badge!’

‘That’s great Gin, but I need to dance to make an impression. Care to join me?’

‘I'd love to Mr Potter.’

Harry led Ginny to the space on the floor which had been magically turned into a very impressive dancefloor and took her in his arms. She fitted perfectly. Harry sighed. This was definitely meant to be. Harry slid his arms down her petite body and rested at her waist. The music sped up and Harry got nervous. Swaying was easy but actually dancing, that was a different matter. Ginny giggled. She knew how to dance. She had been practising ever since Ron was in first year. She was the only one there and she knew that one day, she would dance with the famous Harry Potter. She guided him but still let him do the manly bit. She wouldn’t take his pride. Harry began to enjoy it. Not so much the dancing but just spending time with Ginny in his arms was lifting. 

When the music stopped for refreshments Harry headed over to talk to the Weasley twin. As he got closer, he realised that it was Fred.

‘Hey Fred.’ he said, starting the conversation.

‘Right there Harry. Great news on the badge. I know you’ll take perfect advantage of it. How’s Ginny.’

‘She’s perfect. But that’s not I want to talk about, for once.’ Harry grinned.

‘So, you want to know how I pulled a chick like her, eh?’

‘Well, to put it nicely…’

‘We were in the same year at school and I suppose I never noticed her because I was only interested in those girls that played quidditch. Like Angelina and Katie. But a few weeks ago she came into the shop and my mouth dropped. George saw me and he went in for it. He asked her out. But, she said she was there to see me! I almost did a little dance.’

‘Well, what happened?’ Harry asked.

‘She told me she was coming to teach here and that before she left; she wanted to ask me out because she knew that George and I were in popular demand.’

‘God knows it can't be for your looks!’ Harry joked.

‘Right Mr Potter, watch it. I could do you some serious damage!’

‘And I you! So, you obliged?’

‘Of course! What fool wouldn’t. We’re obviously taking it slow because she’ stuck in here but I'm going to be seeing her most weekends at Hogsmeade. George and I are branching out so I'm going to Hogsmeade to supervise the building of another shop.’

‘Great! I've almost run out!’

‘It should be up and running after Christmas. So, use your supplies wisely till then. Oh and Harry, not a word to anyone about the new shop. I thought I'd tell you because you were the main financer for our first ever business venture. We’ll be forever grateful for that!’

‘No probs Weasley. You had better get back to your hot date.’

‘Yeah, she is pretty hot isn’t she? God, I still don't know how I did it…’

Harry laughed and headed off in the direction his aunt Petunia. 

‘Hi Petunia. Hi Dung.’

‘Hey there head boy!’ Petunia said. Harry blushed.

‘How are you Harry? Congratulations on the new position. I'll be back in a minute; I need to visit the little boy’s room.’ Mundungus winked at Harry, who sat down in his empty seat.

‘Now, Harry. Before you start. Mundungus and I are just friends. I used to go to school with him. Now no questions.’ Petunia said, hurriedly.

Harry sensed there was no further point in being there. He wouldn’t find anything out tonight. He went over to Ginny.