Talking with the Big Guy

Harry went to Professor Dumbledore’s office that night alone. He wanted to ask him about talking to Remus in the fire. 

‘Puking Pastilles.’

Harry got let into the headmaster’s office and knocked the door. 

‘Harry, come in.’

‘Hi, Professor. I was wondering if I could ask you something, if you’re not busy of course.’ Harry said.

‘I always have time for my head boy, and between me and you, my favourite pupil. Ask your question.’

‘Yes, sir. See, in potions today - ’

‘That has been taken care of. We could not prove Mr Malfoy had anything to do with that, and personally, I saw only truth in his eyes.’

‘Thanks Professor but I wasn’t really going to ask that. I was going to say that when we were in potions we were working with werewolf teeth and I was thinking about Remus, and Tonks.’

‘Ah, you miss them, I take it.’

‘Yeah, kinda.’

‘I must say I miss their company also. I miss being at number twelve, although I call in for meetings every once in a while. I miss Sirius most of all. But I believe I shall meet him some time.’

‘So do I Professor. I was wondering if there was any chance of me talking to Remus, like, you know, stick my head in a fire, kind of way.’

‘Of course Harry! Didn’t you know that you may do that in your fire in the head pupils’ tower?’

‘No, I didn’t. I'm glad to know that, but why is there no floo powder then?’

‘Only those who ask, receive.’ Dumbledore said as he reached into a drawer in his office and pulled out a small pot of floo powder. ‘Here you go Harry, and please, do not go out of the school. Just use your head. I trust you.’

‘I appreciate it. How’s Petunia doing?’

She’s doing excellent Harry! She has completed her third and fourth year and is halfway through her fifth year. This will of course be hard for her. I think that she should be doing her OWLs at Christmas.’

‘That’s great!’

‘It most certainly is. She is exceptionally talented. Much like your young Miss Weasley.’

‘Thanks Professor. I guess if that’s it, I’ll be off then.’

‘Yes, there is something actually.’

‘Yeah?’

‘I was just wondering if that glow had come back again.’

‘Nope, sir. It hasn’t.’

‘Ah, excellent.’

Why’s that excellent?’

‘You see Harry. You have still been coming into your powers; I have made a little device to be connected to your powers. When they grow, my little device beeps to let me know. You have been gaining them at an exceptional speed but you are becoming so powerful that you can hide the glow, subconsciously.’

‘That’s great, sir. But can I ask you one question.’

‘Fire away.’

‘Has this ever happened to anyone before?’

‘Well not altogether. You are the elite. No one has ever came into their powers as young as you, nor as fast as you. Merlin came pretty close, his was at the age of twenty, and I am exceptionally proud to say that I came into mine at the age of nineteen. This means that you are a greater wizard than we both were at this age, and you are going to be a greater wizard in later life.’

‘Wow.’

‘Yes and also. The bond with your friends…your friends are also coming into their powers as fast as you are because you are so close. This has happened once before. With a few people you know.’

‘Who?’

‘Your father, Sirius and Remus.’

‘What? Really? What about Peter?’

‘No. I am glad to say that Peter was not involved. Remus came fully into his powers two years earlier than most because he is a werewolf and they mature quicker. The close bond shared with Sirius and your dad brought them in a little early as well.’

‘That’s really…really…really…’

‘Extraordinary?’

‘Yeah.’

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * 

Harry wandered back to his tower, thinking about what Dumbledore had just told him. He was a greater wizard than Merlin. But that couldn’t be right. Merlin was the greatest wizard EVER! Little Harry Potter couldn’t be a better wizard than he was!

Harry reached his tower to get an earful from Hermione and Ginny. 

‘Where have you been?’

‘Why didn’t you tell us?’

‘What if something had happened to you?’

‘I’M FINE!’ Harry yelled as Ron stood back grinning. ‘Thanks for worrying but I'm fine.’

‘So Harry. What happened with the big guy?’ Ron asked, still smiling.

‘Lots.’

‘Like?’

‘Well, I went to ask him if I could maybe floo my head to visit Remus and Tonks. I kinda miss them. He told me that I was allowed to do it from this fire and he gave me some floo powder.’

‘Excellent. I can get into Diagon Alley.’ Ron said.

‘Afraid not. He said he trusts us only to floo our heads places. We don't wanna break his trust, for anything! Anyway, he told me that Malfoy wasn’t punished in potions because they couldn’t prove anything.’

‘Shit, I'd like to have seen his face when HE gets wrongly accused!’ Hermione said.

‘Hermione!’ Ginny said. ‘Don't be like that. He didn’t do anything! Even though he is a git, you don't wanna sink to his level.’

‘I guess. What else happened, Harry?’

‘Er…well I asked him about Petunia. She’s in fifth year already and Dumbledore thinks she’ll be able to do her OWLs at Christmas. I really must invite her up here some day. Or at least find some time to talk to her.’

‘Anything else Harry?’

‘Well, yeah. Dumbledore says we’re still coming into our powers but we’re SO powerful that we’re subconsciously blocking out the glow or something.’

‘Wow!’

‘Seriously?’

‘Oh my God!’ 

‘Yeah, I know. It’s amazing. Anyway, he says that this whole bond thing happened once before. It was with Remus, Sirius and my dad.’

‘Really? Who started it?’ Hermione asked.

‘Remus, because he’s a werewolf and they mature faster.’

‘That is really something.’ Ron said. 

‘Yeah, I know.’ Harry said. He started to get worried about telling them about how powerful he was.

‘What's up, Harry?’ Ron said. ‘You’re twitching.’

‘Shit, am I? There’s something else I have to tell you. It’s pretty big.’

‘Just tell us. We won't care.’ Ginny said as she slipped her hand into his.

‘Right, I'm just going to be blunt. Dumbledore says that I'm more powerful than Merlin. He says that Merlin only came into his powers when he was twenty. Even better, he says that I'm more powerful than he is.’

‘Holy shit.’ Ron whispered.

‘Yeah Ron. I'm right with you there.’ Harry sighed.