Patience

Sanem: Now, I'm tired. Goodnight Can.

Can: Good night.

He watched her walk away again. Why couldn't he be braver to fight for her? He thought to himself over that year how he just let her go. He didn't fight for them. He had the chance to earn her. Show how much had changed within him and how his feelings for her only grew. Would she be willing to listen? Or had she moved on?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Sanem walked back into the house. Everyone had left the party and Leyla and Emre were left. She smiled as she saw Leyla and Emre in an embrace.

Sanem: Congratulations again you guys. The house is wonderful and you survived a year of marriage. As my gift to you, I will clean up the dishes.

Emre: Oh thank god. I'm so tired. Aren't you dear?

Leyla: You really don't have to. Go get some rest. We can handle it in the morning.

Sanem: No, really I am happy to do it. I have a bit of jetlag and wouldn't be able to sleep anyway.

Leyla: How did things go with Can?

Sanem: We can talk about it tomorrow. Please go get some sleep. You two deserve it.

Emre: Good night Sanem.

Leyla: Good night sister.

About five minutes later Can walked back into the house.

Can: Need any help?

Sanem: No I should be fine. I got this.

Can: I thought you were tired.

Sanem: I underestimated the power of jetlag. I'm not tired at all.

Can: Same. Please let me help you.

They tidied the space and settled on the couch after being done.

Sanem: They really designed the house well. It's the perfect combination of the two of them.

Can: Agreed. Wanna watch a movie?

Sanem: Sure.

They both reached for the remote at the same time and their hands brushed. The electricity between them was still there. They both held their breath and looked at each other. She hesitated and started to get up.

Sanem: Maybe I should try to get some rest. Reset my sleep.

Can: Please stay.

She looked at him with her big brown eyes. They both longed for this moment. It was just the two of them. Both unsure of what the other one was thinking but still deeply in love.

Sanem: Tamam.

Can:...How is Yigit?

Sanem: Really? You want to know how he is?

Can: Well I am curious if you are seeing anyone.

Sanem: No, I'm not seeing Yigit. Although you were right.

Can: That you are seeing someone?

Sanem: No, that he had feelings for me.

Can: Oh, and do you feel the same way?

Sanem: Of course not. Are you back with Polen? I mean when I heard you were in London, I assumed you too would have reconciled.

Can: We will never reconcile. My heart has only belonged to one.

Sanem: Same.

Can: After everything that has happened, thank you for talking with me.

Sanem: Of course. I will always care for you. I'm just sorry about how it all went down. I shouldn't have run away like that.

Can: I didn't make it easy for you.

Sanem: I guess I was just suffocating. The book and the thought of marriage was all too much. I didn't know how to ask for air and I didn't think I was worthy of it.

Can: You were and have always been worth everything.

Sanem: (looking down at her hands) I don't know about that but I had to prove it to myself.

Can: You have grown up so much.

Sanem: I didn't have a choice. I had to put my writing out there in the world. See if it was possible.

Can: Is that your talent?

Sanem: What? Putting myself out there?

Can: No, wowing others. You went from a coffee girl to a well known novelist.

Sanem: Haha, I guess I knew when to pivot...

There was a pregnant pause between the two of them. She looked at him.

Sanem: I knew when to make the change and walk away. I knew when the odds were against me and I needed to change my outcome.

Can: Like with us?

Sanem: Look I don't want to argue or fight. Let's just talk about something else?

Can: No, we are finally getting somewhere. I don't want tonight to end like this.

Sanem: You always get what you want don't you? (smiling at him)

Can: Not always but I'm hoping my luck will change. (looking at her seriously)

Sanem: Okay fine. It was like that with us. I was trying to make everyone happy and worst of all I was letting Huma win.

Can: I'm sorry for that. I should have kicked her out of our lives the night she came waltzing in.

Sanem: How were you supposed to know? She seemed so willing to make a relationship with you work. I pushed it too. That's what is so sad about all of it. I pushed you both and yet every time she had the chance she made me feel...(Sanem starting staring off into the distance) unworthy. I truly underestimated her abilities.

Can: After you left for your book tour. I finally broke ties with her for the last time. Emre did too. She ruined the best part of my life.

Sanem: Let's not give her all the credit. We both made choices.

Can: It doesn't mean they were the right choices.

Sanem: I agree, but look. Here we are. We are able to discuss our lives and be...

Can: Friends?

Sanem: Well I don't know if I would call it that. I mean, we were never really friends. I can't think of a time when there wasn't something hanging over us. Something left unsaid or something in the way.

Can: That is still true.

Sanem: I don't think so everything is out in the open. We are able to start new. A new friendship.

Can: Is that what you want?

Sanem: Well what do you want?

Can: I want to take you somewhere.

Sanem: At this time of night where would we even go?

Can: It's a surprise. Trust me?

Sanem: Always. 

_________________________________________________________________________

Keske Momentsजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें