Chapter 19

CHAPTER 19

Turns out Ruby occupied herself by talking or should I say throwing herself on the guy from before. What was his name again? Will? William?

We drove to our destination in silence and surprisingly Ruby didn't try to sit at the front. She sat quietly behind talking every now and then but never whining. It was kind of suspicious seeing her act this way.

When we finally arrived at the camping site it was already dark. I could see that they have already set up the bonfire. Mum and dad were happily sitting on the big log while Ruth and her mother were grilling some meat. I quickly made my way to the group not wanting to be stuck with Christian again.

"Ahh... you guys made it."

Mum said as she saw me nearing them. I turned to see Christian hugging Ruby by her waist. I rolled my eyes getting pissed off. I wrapped my hands around Ruth from behind feeling the heat from the burning charcoal next to me.

"Ohh... you have no idea how much I've missed you." She chuckled as she gripped my hands. Her voice was in a low whisper so that I was the only one able to hear.

"Sorry you had to go through that. I tried to do something but looks like my mum and yours have been planning this all along."

I let out a long groan thinking about what they were up to. They just had to put me in the same car with the person I hate the most. I let go off Ruth and stole a strip of meat that was cooling down.

"I know. The only thing I'm worried about is what they have in mind this whole week."

I helped set out all the plates and glasses on the wooden picnic table outside getting ready to eat dinner. Boy was I hungry after throwing up my stomach's contents.

Everything was prepared. Mum sat next to dad. Ruth beside her mother. I sat alone as Christian snuggled closer to Ruby. His face was snuggling her neck. I immediately tensed up looking at that sight. I stared at them feeling my blood boiling inside. If they wanted to be all lovey dovey, they shouldn't have come. I scoffed at them and felt like burying myself in a hole when I realised I let out a loud scoff.

His eyes looked into mine. I saw Ruby looking at me angrily. The whole table was surrounded with an awkward atmosphere as I kept staring back at them and no one tried to spark up a conversation.

"So Christian. When are you going to introduce your little friend here to us?"

Dad finally said. I felt his eyes leaving me as he focused on my dad. He smiled and pulled Tuby oops I meant Ruby closer to him by the waist. They were being so annoying.

"Well, this right here is Ruby."

I munched on my food trying not to be interested in their conversation.

"and she's my girlfriend."

I set down my knife and fork. He admitted it so easily to them but not me. 

You guys aren't friends anymore. Remember.

"Oh that's nice Christian. It's good to see that you've finally found a person to be with after all the girls you brought home."

Mrs Fairfax said not bothering to glance up at Ruby. I saw the way Ruby flinched at her words realising what it meant.

"Mom..."

Christian didn't like the way she was subtly giving hints. His jaw tensed up. So he has been keeping his ways just like in high school. She just smiled looking at them both trying to make it seem like she wasn't being mean. Her eyes got bigger when she finally saw what Ruby was wearing.