[4] - Orange Town Arc ~ 1

Start from the beginning

"When the hell are we gonna reach land anyway?" Complains Zoro.

"Who knows. Just sailing on the wind and the waves. Going where they take us." Luffy replies back. "We might never even reach the land. Eh, I guess we will someday."

"Don't say things like that, Lu." I try perking him up with my old nickname for him. "You're going to scare us with that kind of thinking."

"Don't you find it dumb that someone trying to be King of the Pirates doesn't have a single navigational skill?!" Zoro yells.

"And this is, again, why I say we need to find a navigator."

Luffy lifts his head from over the side of the boat and looks at me. "But (First Name), don't you know how to navigate?"

"Yeah, I do. But for me, it's different from the normal way of navigating." I respond.

"How so?" Zoro asks.

I lean against the back of the boat, looking up at the sky. "It's almost like the ocean tells me when an island is near, it can tell me the safest route or the quickest, it can even let me know if and when there is danger. To me, it's as though the ocean is a living being, that only I'm able to communicate with and bend to help me in many situations. But even with my skill, I'd much rather have a permanent navigator to have on the crew in case I'm not around and so I can focus on my studies of ocean life and still create clothes for you guys to keep on your backs. I serve as the Marine Biologist and Seamstress of this crew, so the slot for navigator should belong to someone else."

"Good point." Zoro points out.

"What about you? Aren't you some famous bounty hunter who sailed the seas?" Luffy joins in, looking to the crew's swordsman.

"I don't have any recollection of ever calling myself a bounty hunter." Zoro leans his head back and looks to the sky like I was just doing. "I set out on the open sea in search of just one man and then I couldn't get back to my village. By that point, I had no choice but to go after pirate ships to earn a living."

"Oh, I see. So, you're just lost." Luffy deadpans.

I giggle and lean over to poke Zoro's cheek. "So not only have you stayed the same physical-wise, but your horrible sense of direction is still there as well."

"Hey! Don't put it like that!" Zoro snaps, stomping their boat. Zoro's fit nearly tips the both of them over, but they manage to regain balance and not fall into the water. Luffy's prized straw hat was lifted into the air and starts to drift away from him. Everything seems to go into slow motion in those few seconds. My body swiftly moves to the front of my boat and catch his hat, but my mind was doing a walk down memory lane.

"Don't worry, Lu. I've always got your back." I say unconsciously, repeating the promise I made to my friend and the boy I now call my Captain.

💭Flashback 10 Years Ago💭