Detach

When he went to the skate park with his parents, Emberly taught Leif one of her favorite kickflip tricks and his dad just showed off. He was really good though.

After a little while there a Freezy Dots truck pulled up and they all got peanut butter ice cream. Leif hadn't known that they all loved the same kind of Freezy Dots. They sat down on a park getting brain freezes and cold teeth. Leif hadn't laughed that much in a long time. The time seemed to fly by.

"Do you guys wanna head over to the music store?" asked Keighan,

"Yeah," said Leif.

"I'm game," said Emberley.

They all skated towards the music store. A TV played in the background with the news. The searched the countless albums and singles that made certain bands famous.

"Ooh, Kei!" said Emberley from across the store. "Look it's Watering Us."

Keighan and Leif came over to where she was. "What is it?" asked Leif.

"It's our song," said Keighan and he kissed Emberley on the cheek.

There was a small dance floor in the shop and a DJ sat there reading a book.

"Hey let's give it to the DJ," said Keighan.

"No, that's alright," said Emberley. "I don't want to embarrass you."

"Why would you embarrass me?"

"Because I'm 'Left Feet Embarrassing Emberley'," she said smiling but trying not to laugh at the stupid nickname she just gave herself.

"Who calls you that?" asked Leif.

"No one but herself," said Keighan. "I admit, you're not the most divine dancer but you are definitely the most divine woman I've ever known."

Keighan took the cd to the DJ and had him play the song. Leif sat down on a small bench and watched his parents dance.

He listened to the song, and he saw why his parents liked it so much. It was about a gardener watering his flowers, but Leif thought about what the song meant in a deeper sense. It sounded like the gardener was cupid or something and the flowers were people in love and the water was the special connection that the flowers shared. At least that's how Leif interpreted it.

The song reminded him of Jordan since it was about water. He kept on wondering what she would've said if she'd let him finished what he was going to say when he asked her about leaving. He was about to ask her about getting married.

Now that he listened to this song his fondness grew very much more than that. He'd probably known his love for her long ago, and just chose to slightly ignore it. It was only that night when he asked her to the dance that he'd really taken any initiative.

He glanced over at the TV and saw the footage from the Principal's office. He had to make sure his parents didn't see it.

"Hey I'm hungry, anyone else?" he asked.

"Yeah me too," said Keighan.

"You boys are always hungry, we just had some ice cream," said Emberley.

"Yeah but that's not dinner," said Leif.

"The kid's right."

"Let's get pizza or something," said Leif.

Leif was glad when they finally did leave the music store.

The next few days Leif spent as much time with his parents as he could. But then he started to feel pre-homesick. He had been so sure that they wouldn't want to leave their "perfect" lives for a world of the unknown, but the more he searched the more evidence he found to show that his previous notions were not correct.