6) unconscious people

Marissa POV
7:30 am February 28 2027
Salvatore School

The brush of fingertips run along my back in circles. The soothing sensation causes me to sigh in content in my sleepy state. As I open my eyes the harsh glare of the sun causes me to quickly groan and turn on my back. Getting in a sitting position I take note of my surroundings, yet purposely ignore the man sitting against the headboard next to me.
Raising my arms above my head in a stretch I distastefully address him. "So is this your normal routine? Make a girl sleep on a hard mattress after interrogating her for hours, but then move her to a lush mattress once she's out like a light?"
The man lightly scoffs, and I can tell it's with a smile. "I could've easily left you in the other room, I'll even escort you there if you so desire."
Simply giving him the bird while getting off the bed I step towards the window and peek outside at the scenery before me. 
"Where am I?" Without turning my back, I can tell he's moving towards me, as I hear the floorboards creak with his movements.
"Same place as yesterday, just with less cement walls." He says while slowly wrapping his arms around my middle.
I relax slightly while closing my eyes and slowly breathing in his scent. Although I find comfort in his touch, the events of the night prior leave me with anger. Unlinking his hands around my waste I lean against the window sill and begin to whisper, knowing he will still be able to hear me. "Where is my bag? I know for a fact you and the nosy bitch peaked in it and took out anything you didn't approve of."
He clears his throat before responding, "it's on the chair in the corner, along with some clothes to wear. Bathroom is the door without engravings."
Quickly moving to my right with my head down, I stride to the chair. Before I can even enter the bathroom, I freeze as he softly says "Mari".
He takes my pause as an indication to continue. "I never wanted any of this to happen, you deserve better. So much better."
The tone of his voice cause my eyes to water and I slowly tur-
"Hey, here are some of your clothes from your bag." The voice startles me slightly and I look up at the blonde with wide red eyes. "Oh sorry I didn't mean to scare you."
Shaking my head I brush her off, "Don't worry about it, was just in some weird deja vu stuff, like living in my memories for decades wasn't enough." I say while brushing some wet strands of hair behind my ear.
Caroline gives me a tight smile and awkwardly places her hands on her hips. Her nerves cause me nausea due to my lack of human contact lately.
"You know if you don't get your cool around me soon I might literally puke on you because of all the energy you're giving off." I say while crossing my legs over the other while sitting on the covered toilet.
The blonde raises her eyebrows in what I'm assuming is shock as she opens and closes her mouth. "Me?! I need to get my cool? Well I'm sorry if I don't know how to act or deal in this situation. It's not everyday that a super rare type of witch species comes flaming off a pendant that one of your students has been in possession of for years!"
The pitch in her voice makes me cringe slightly while I give her a slight glare.
"Well get a grip because my lack of human contact has made me super sensitive to emotions at the moment and you are one hell of an emotional person so cap it blondie!" I say as I stand up. Before I can even take a step towards her, I turn around to empty my stomach in the toilet.
It feels as if my mind slows down as I hear her slightly gasp my name, then all I see is black.
~~~~
The breeze is relatively warm out tonight as I stand out on the balcony. Staring out onto the city I hear footsteps approaching me, when they stop right behind me I turn around with a small smile.
"Hey"
He smiles slightly before walking up besides me and leans against the railing. "How are you feeling?"
Tilting my head a bit to look at him while keeping my body straight, I give him raised eyebrows.
"Well for starters I had a shitty shift. Then your lovely best friend decided it would be a great idea to tell me that half the city was after you guys while simultaneously telling me he'd be working with the woman I absolutely despise."
He scoffs softly, but has a sympathetic smile on his face. "I'm sorry I dragged you into all of this. If I had never befriended you, you wouldn't be involved in this life."
I shake my head at him and look him straight in the eyes as I speak the truth, "if you hadn't befriended me, I'd just be another girl that was taken advantage of when walking home. Plus who else would I be able to talk to during my slow shifts?"
My words silence him and he looks out onto the LA landscape. I move closer to him and rest my head against his shoulder. As his arm wraps around shoulder I feel comfort in the man beside me, his usual persona gone as he allows me be in the slums for what feels like the millionth time in a matter of weeks.
I feel his care for me radiating through his body. A soft hum of love and friendship forged in the past months. It's not that bothers me, but the hint of fear that I sense ripple through his normal aura.

A blanket on my body is the first thing that I began to feel. It's weight and softness against my skin being the only thing I notice besides the voices.
"She needs to rest. If she really is what she claims and was locked away for years her mind and body are being overwhelmed by being around people."
"But could that have really caused her to puke out blood? I mean I get that she's overwhelmed, but it's not like she's exerting any powers."
I begin to be able to feel that I'm on a soft mattress. I feel three presences in the room around me and internally groan as I notice one is Caroline by her voice.
"I think on the contrary, I talked to the girls about the spell they were using and it shouldn't have worked. It needed either the witch who created the prison world, their blood, or someone who has been there."
"It's like an ascendant then."
"Hope never found out who created the pendant, though."
I hear a a huff and distinguish it as Alaric's.
"Yeah but who better to act as a person who's been to the world then one who's stuck in there for decades."
"Exactly. While being an empath is the main skill her kind are said to have, they're witches more or less. Bound to the earth stricter than most, based on the grimoires you gave me I can tell you that she had all the tools to get out if the door was pushed open just a crack. She comes from a strong line of her kind I'm assuming."
At this line I decide to make my consciousness known, not wanting to hear things any longer. I open my eyes and turn my head to where I sense them.
"You guys have a terrible habit of talking in front of unconscious people that are just trying to get some rest."
Alaric and Caroline stand by a tan woman who I immediately identify as a witch. They all look almost relieved that I'm awake yet uncomfortable at the same time.
Alaric is the first to speak up, "How are you feeling?"
"Like I vomited out my insides."
The other woman walks towards the bed and reaches for a glass that's on the table.
"Hi my name is Emma, I'm a teacher here. This elixir should help you feel more grounded until you get more accustomed to being around people again." She hands me the glass and helps me sit up.
Looking at the contents of the cup and back to the three in the room, I take the small amount of liquid and drink it.
Looking back over to Emma I hand her the cup after examining her. "Thank you."
She gives me a quick smile and moves away from the bed.
I look to the two I'm most aquatinted with and they stare back. It seems as if none of us know what to say and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to speak up first.
Alaric sighs and sits in the chair that's next to the dresser. It's then that I notice I'm in the furnished room that was connected to the bathroom I used earlier.
He sighs out before starting. "So we're going to let you rest for the rest of today, you weren't out for that long and you need the rest. Us three will be checking on you to make sure you're okay but Emma is gonna spell the room so you don't get out."
"You don't need to talk to me like I'm a child for starters. And is spelling the room necessary, it's clear that I can't even be near one person. And you guys expect that I'll be able to walk through a whole school, of teens who have no grip on emotions, and leave."
Caroline moves to speak but Alaric cuts her off before she can. "Look it's just a precaution, but you need your rest. You've been through a lot."
The two walk out the room while Emma lingers. As she's about to step out she turns to me, "I'll try to get you some stuff to keep you busy for tomorrow, but you do need your rest."
I just nod my head with a roll of my eyes. I feel a hint of sincerity but it's gazed over due to the elixir. As she walks out and shuts the door I let out a frustrated groan. I want nothing more than to go home, or to whatever is left of it. To try and find my brother or see my Tia, but the reality is I don't know if they're alive. I don't know what would be there for me if I even was able to go back. And those are my only thoughts as I drift back into a welcomed sleep.